• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possible Iris Coloboma

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
Hello all! It's been a hot minute since I posted here but I wanted to get your opinions on this and if anyone's had birds with a case of iris coloboma?

I have two caique boys, about 2.5 years old each. They are brothers, from the same clutch and as they matured I've watched their eyes go from dark brown to bright red. The oldest has a grey ring inside the red that is very pronounced as seems normal for caiques as they get older. The younger one however never developed that grey ring, it's there but I have to squint and look very carefully. I've noticed that what's more, the grey ring does not seem to be symmetrically round. Which means the iris is oval. When I look it up in the internet I come up with iris coloboma.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing? It says it can affect his vision and out of the two of them he's always been the one who's hesitant to fly despite being a bit smarter/picks things up faster than his brother. It doesn't look like there's much anyone can do to fix it either but at least it doesn't normally get worse with time.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I have a dozen of these guys, oldest pair about 12, and I havent noticed anything odd about that gray ring. What I HAVE notices is that caique eye colour varies hugely with their mood, reminding me of those mood rings we wore as kids.

Even the skin around the eye can vary hugely from bird to bird, and don't even get me started on foot coloration, its as unique as a human fingerprint.

Have your vet take a closer look at your next checkup if you're worried.

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
I have a dozen of these guys, oldest pair about 12, and I havent noticed anything odd about that gray ring. What I HAVE notices is that caique eye colour varies hugely with their mood, reminding me of those mood rings we wore as kids.

Even the skin around the eye can vary hugely from bird to bird, and don't even get me started on foot coloration, its as unique as a human fingerprint.

Have your vet take a closer look at your next checkup if you're worried.
Thanks! Yeah I'm looking closer and the eye might be more normal than I think. The pupil is just a little off from perfectly circular. It's seems weird to me that his grey ring is barely discernable esp when I compare with his brother. But his mood is also very much more stable than his brother who has the grey ring so maybe that has something to do with it? :joyful: He's a very chill bird when his brother's mood is a little bat crazy, lol.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Thanks! Yeah I'm looking closer and the eye might be more normal than I think. The pupil is just a little off from perfectly circular. It's seems weird to me that his grey ring is barely discernable esp when I compare with his brother. But his mood is also very much more stable than his brother who has the grey ring so maybe that has something to do with it? :joyful: He's a very chill bird when his brother's mood is a little bat crazy, lol.
They're all bat crazy, that's why we love them, Reminds us of ourselves as kids. And, as with humans, its the quiet ones you need to watch , lol.

My own little Dingdong is the most bats%^& crazy of them all, but he lights up when I enter the room, so what ya gonna do?