• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

possible hormonal behavior? help

yuaaaa

Moving in
Real Name
Monica
2021-03-22-045418906.jpg
hi everyone ! i need your help :(
my first ever male bird, who is now 1 year and 3-4 months old, keeps doing this very strange position some times a day, maybe even 3 or 4, but not every day. im guessing it's a normal hormonal behavior... since before this, he used to drag his butt left-right with his tail down on this wood swing.
it's very strange to me because when he does this position he keeps on doing very short monotone whistles, from a good minute, until he stops and eventually sings or puts his wings in the heart position while going up and down with his head. (yes, after he does these dirty things he is happy and sings a lot lol)
also, we bought 2 days ago a good female cockatiel, and my male bird is really interested in her (ex: trying to bite her feathers or tail but playfully), but for now we're not going to put them in the cage together yet. and even with her, he still does this behavior. in this exact time im writing this, he is doing it for the third time, lol.

should I do something? is it even normal behavior?
thanks in advance <3

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It sounds like he is masturbating on his swing. It’s perfectly normal and there is no reason to stop him, unless it makes him aggressive or becomes obsessive. Then you might need to take out the swing. I would never allow your female and male to breed. Raising chicks is hard and a lot of things can go wrong if you don’t know what you are doing and have a lot of experience breeding. You can boil the eggs if there ever are any. Make sure they get along very well before you try putting them in the same cage. You don’t want him to pester her.

yuaaaa

Moving in
Real Name
Monica
thank you so much for your reply.
my female cockatiel is a very calm and friendly type, but whenever he tries to play with her (we put their cages pretty close, they do perfectly fine) she goes away chirping a but or she just ignores him.
he doesn't let us touch him, he is a wild cockatiel and he is pretty angry at us basically all day, but somehow still manages to sing to us, lol
she is not a wild tiel so we are going very slow with her so she can trust us and we can pick her up with our fingers before putting them together.
it's pretty frustrating because he once let us pet him, but now he is pretty aggressive.
just hoping the situation gets better for him

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
If you take out his swing, rearrange his cage, make sure he gets 12 hours of darkness, work on target training while in the cage, perch training, and spend time with him building his trust by reading to him, offering treats, etc., he might mellow out a bit. Also, foraging for most of his food might help too. Start slow and easy with foraging and build up.