• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possible early signs of PBFD?

Leafstem

Meeting neighbors
hi everyone!
I have a GCC who will turn a year old in a little over a month so she’s pretty young. Something I’ve noticed for a while is that the feathers on her rump seem to be a bit odd. I thought it was just her molting but her rump area seems to be a bit sticky. I give her scritches there sometimes and sometimes feathers in that area will just fall out (decently easily)? And it doesn’t seem to hurt her at all? There are also a few stumpy feathers. They have some fluff so I thought they were just new feathers growing in but they haven’t seemed to grow since I’ve noticed, and they’re very sensitive. I’ve also seen a couple short, thick, and dark ones without fluff (also very sensitive).
I’ve been trying to research the symptoms and the slight stickiness of a few rump feathers is what worries me. She’s very lively, hardly ever staying still. She’s not clipped so we’ve been doing some recall training inside. She’s a pretty good little flier.
I have an appointment for a check up coming up but I wanted to see if I should try to move the date closer, and if I should be worried. I’m going to be stressing so I wanted to post this in case it sounds like it might not be too big of an issue OR if it seems like it really could be something as serious as PBFD and I should move the appointment to sooner.
Here’s one picture I managed to take of her rump. I know it’s not very good quality but it’s the best I can get at the moment (someone is VERY hyper right now lol).
Thank you to everyone in advance! ❤

Attachments

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
To me they look like normal feathers growing in. GCC have a uropygial gland or preening gland at the base of the tail (rump area) - this is a wick of oil... could this be what you are feeling... ie. the stickiness? The gland can get infected, but a vet would be able to diagnose anything wrong with it. Good idea to take her to the vet just in case.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Second on the preen gland. Saw one that was so bad the doctor had to squeeze the nasty stuff out before it could even start to heal. The bird made a 100% recovery.

Leafstem

Meeting neighbors
Ahh that makes me feel so much better! I hope it’s just the gland! I’m definitely still going to take her to the vet to get her checked out (to soothe my mind at the very least!), but I feel more at peace now thank you so much you guys!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It is easy to always rush to the worst possible outcome, we worry so much about our little fids. Just know that rare and terrible conditions are just that, rare!

So keep a clear mind and I will wish you the best outcome at the vet. :hug8:

Leafstem

Meeting neighbors
Just an update for everyone! We got that vet check up and turns out it was her uropygial gland! It’s clogged, hence why some feathers looked funky.

However, she told me that while it’s common for conures to have issues with that gland, it’s uncommon for owners to catch it as early as I did and bring them in. Her gland hasn’t become infected yet, so all I have to do is rub a special kind of shampoo into that area to help clean all the crud out. Honestly makes me feel pretty good as a bird mama! ☺ I’m really glad I listened to my instincts and brought her in!

So I’m taking that as a lesson that if I do suspect something is wrong, bring pets in. Thank you for the helpful comments! Pray for this sweet bird to make a quick and full recovery!

Attachments

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Good job...VERY good job to catch it that early.

And yes get them in if you ever think there might be a problem, These little ones don't have "Deep Tanks" and as they do their best to hide an illness by the time you notice it's going to be critical to get them in NOW!

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Well done!

I hope you feel better soon little one :) You are lucky to have such an awesome mum!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
You are an amazing mom! Yeah!!