• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Possible dead toe tip (probably nothing)

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Earlier today, I noticed Kiwi my linnie walking across his cage top slower than usual. Not limping, just walking slowly, but I picked him up and looked at his feet. At first glance, my thought was that the end of his toe was all black and dead. He often catches his little toes on my sweaters, so I figured he got a thread wound on there, but I was surprised I hadn't noticed anything sooner. I got as far as calling the vet to check when they open tomorrow.
Now, looking at it some more, I'm starting to think he just has poop or food caked onto his toe. He climbs about fine and used that foot to hold a piece of millet.
Any opinions on what it is? If it's something caked onto his toe, it's on pretty good and he is a very hand shy bird who does NOT like having his toes touched. I'll try giving him a bath tomorrow to see if it comes off (too late to give him one now, don't want him going to bed wet). I want to get him to the vet tomorrow if it's actually injured, but I really don't want to take him in if it turns out to be nothing - it's cold, snowing, and the vet is not that close.

Attachments

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
Are you able to pick him up (hand over back) and run just the toe under warm water? I do that w Ki all the time when he steps in something. It looks bad, but I hope it's just gunk. I see some threads? Sticking on? I'd try and get it off ASAP.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
To me, it kind of looks like an infected toe… if it was something caked on, and it was to come off really easy, and the skin looks okay, then that rules out infection/injury. I would still take him regardless, it is better to be safe than sorry, and if it was to be infected (I am not saying it is, I have no clue), at least you are there and can find out for sure if it is or isn’t and the vet can tell you what they/you can do for it from there.

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
To me it does look like infection. If it were me I would be Toweling him if he isn't easy to handle and bathe the toe in warm water, you don't need to wet all of him just his toe/foot, you may even want to sit his foot in warm water for a while if it is possible to soften everything before gently massaging it to see if anything falls away and you can get a good look as to weather there is an injury or if it is just dried up food stuck there.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I agree, get him to the vet. :hug8:

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
I also agree does not look normal. I would think is poop on the nail he would have cleaned it off himself, I know mine do.
Mitzi

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Wether he like it or not, wash that off with water and get a good look, the talon looks a little discolored to me but hard to tell until its cleaned off.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Birdbabe is right. You need to clean that off and find out if it is an infection and necrotic. If it were your kid you would make him put up with the cleaning.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
When I first saw it, I really was sure the toe tip was dead and was afraid to pull at it too much and injure him.
But finally at the risk of losing what little trust he has in me, I did grab him, wet his foot, and then picked at the toe for awhile... finally pried off some dried on crud and it's a normal pink healthy toe underneath.
So that is a big relief - I'm glad I didn't drag him to the vet unnecessarily in this weather.

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
Oh my GOODNESS!!! I'm so relieved!!! I've been waiting to hear....
Thats really great news!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hooray for you. He'll forgive you.