• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possible Companion parrot for a blue fronted amazon.

dazz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
dara
Hi all, it's been a while since I posted here. I'm getting on alot better with my beautiful blue fronted Amazon parrot, shes Millie.

I inherited her, and she now considers me her favourite!!!!we preen each other, and I do what I'm told and asked to do...I have learned alot. My husband wants to get her a compaion bird. He has his eyes set on an African grey.

I have alot if concerns, would you be able to help me out?

I dont know the sex of millie, shes laid eggs in the past, and I read that Male parrots can lay eggs too!!?

Depending on her sex, what sex companion parrot would be wise?

I dont know her age, she could be more than 15 up to 25 years old.

I certainly do not want to breed.
But I also heard two males together will kill each other?

She doesnt like men.

She is still awkward with flying, attempting to fly. She cant gauge distance.

What breed of parrot is suitable for my blue fronted Amazon beauty?

Thank you for your help. I'm stuck as I do t k ow other people with parrots.

Love and regards

Dara.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Do not get another bird just for her. Get one only if you're excited for another bird.
She may like/hate/or tolerate another bird.
My Amazon likes my other bird in the same room, but they can never be next to each other.
He does not like his space invaded. He does like the ambient company.
So another bird added to your household should be because you want one.

Similar size is the best if they are just roommates.
Large size differences create different (and dangerous) problems.

And BirdView is right, only females lay eggs.
Because parrots often can't be sexed by sight, rumors have swirled. ;)

dazz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
dara
Bird view, you see, I'm learning..

dazz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
dara
That was probably a joke. Male parrots don't lay eggs.
No joke bird view.. you see I'm still learning, and that's what internet research has done!!!I'm glad you corrected me tho.

dazz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
dara
Do not get another bird just for her. Get one only if you're excited for another bird.
She may like/hate/or tolerate another bird.
My Amazon likes my other bird in the same room, but they can never be next to each other.
He does not like his space invaded. He does like the ambient company.
So another bird added to your household should be because you want one.

Similar size is the best if they are just roommates.
Large size differences create different (and dangerous) problems.

And BirdView is right, only females lay eggs.
Because parrots often can't be sexed by sight, rumors have swirled. ;)
Thank you Macawpower, that's what I'm going to show the husband.
You are kind and straightforward with your information. I appreciate it.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’d personally just stick to getting yourself (not your bird) another Amazon if I was you.
You don’t need to breed if you have male female- you can work around any possible fertile eggs by boiling them or replacing them with dummies before any life has started in the egg.
I say this stuff about sticking to the same species simply because I’ve owned and regularly helped with the care needs of varying birds (parrots and poultry mostly) on and off over my whole life (including assisting with ostrich and emu breeding, incubation, hatching and raising) I now have three different species and sizes of birds all with food, health, enrichment and behaviour differences and I find it kinda difficult/annoying switching between the different needs and behaviours of the different species as well as purchasing and storing toys, accessories and foods for three different sets of bird needs and diets- I’m honestly a bit torn trying to fairly/evenly juggle the needs for three birds who all need different things to be at their best health.
I’ll be totally honest and say that having a mix of new and old world birds is quite a bit of a stress for me also- others possibly juggle things better or easier than I do, I’m not really sure.
If all my birds were of the same species it would make learning and doing everything I need to do and know to give them the best I possibly can so much easier.
My suggestion is based mostly on your comment about being slightly inexperienced and being confused/misled by internet searches, the less you need to switch between the more ease you have providing the appropriate care.

dazz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
dara
Wow..I didnt know that about the eggs.!!!that's great information. Thank you so much.x