• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possible Budgie Nesting Behavior?

budgie❤️

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Madilynn
I have a male and a female budgie. They are bonded, they preen each other, feed each other, etc. Recently, we have noticed the female taking the bits she shreds off of her bird kabob and placing them in a corner of the cage. We have not seen the budgies mate, but we are wondering if she is attempting to build a nest. Neither of the budgies have ceres that show they are in breeding condition, they both have the typical baby budgie cere. Why is she putting the shredded bits in the cage corner?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
they both have the typical baby budgie cere
How old are they? Photos?
If they're old enough to even be thinking of building a nest then they are mature. Young budgies don't do this.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
An afterthought. Budgies nest in holes and hollows, so nest boxes and dishes. I feel this isn't nesting behaviour, or if it is she's getting all wrong probably due to her lack of experience, or she's storing materials for a later nest. It could also be something that she's just enjoying doing.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I see seed hulls as well. Have you actually seen her placing them there and they're not just getting blown there by the draught from the budgies' wings?
I've never seen this behaviour in budgies before, even in resting breeders.

budgie❤️

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Madilynn
I see seed hulls as well. Have you actually seen her placing them there and they're not just getting blown there by the draught from the budgies' wings?
I've never seen this behaviour in budgies before, even in resting breeders.
Pineapple's food bowl is right above where the pile of shredded bits are, so that's why the seed hulls are there. When I got her, the pet store had clipped her wings so she doesn't flap her wings very much unless she is annoyed or something. I haven't seen her placing any of the shredded bits in the corner though.

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
Rarely, but yes I have seen this in young females. Some just seem to have a strong urge to make a nest. Or at least exhibit hoarding behaviour. To discourage this, maybe put the grate back in the bottom of the cage if there is not one?

Last edited:

budgie❤️

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Madilynn
Rarely, but yes I have seen this in young females. Some just seem to have a strong urge to make a nest. Or at least exhibit hoarding behaviour. To discourage this, maybe put the grate back in the bottom of the cage if there is not one?
There is, I just pulled the tray out from underneath it for a better picture (so much for that, it's so blurry lol)

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
There is, I just pulled the tray out from underneath it for a better picture (so much for that, it's so blurry lol)
Ahh, ok. I wasn't sure. So you have not actually seen her placing the shredded bits there? I would be inclined to think that somehow a breeze is blowing them there but I have witnessed (again rarely) overly obsessive budgies who tend to love to accumulate stuff...lol. Given their young ages, I wouldn't worry about it.

budgie❤️

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Madilynn
Okay.... I was just wondering if she was going to play eggs or something. Also at this age are they actually physically capable of laying eggs?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Also at this age are they actually physically capable of laying eggs?
No. She won't have the hormones to produce eggs until she matures.