• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possible Budgie Meal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicolas
Okay, I was looking at this recipe. It is used as a staple diet for this mans birds (ranges from small to large birds). Could this be used for a budgie, and also, what else would needed to be given? Also, this could be made in 'large' quantities and then refrigerated, correct?

RECIPE:
Cook 2 ounces of quinoa with 5 ounces of water until water is absorbed.
2 cups of green leafy vegetables (like spinach, arugula, dandelion leaves, kale, etc)
4 middle-sized carrots
2 cups of broccoli, zucchini, celery, green beans, asparagus, etc.
I cut half of the vegetables into chunks, purée the rest and mix them into
the cooked quinoa. Depending on the season, I add dried or fresh herbs.

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I would never just feed that...you must give a readily available iet of seeds and or pellets PLUS that....that sounds great to eat as a supplement during the day etc...but not just that alone...and I see no reason you couldnt freeze it.

Nic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicolas
seeds and the like would be offered as well.
It's a wide range of offerings, I think this bird is going to be a majorly spoiled little girl.
I can't wate til she arrives!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Ill say lol...that warms my heart a spoiled birdie is a happy birdie. also limit the iron (spinich_ only offer about twice a week as they dont process iron well like the bigger birdies._

Nic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicolas
Yeah. I just looked at a list of recipes on the breeders website, so I have alot of different things that are quick, easy, and cheap to make but will also allow for a very well rounded nutritional offering. And I already have my plans drawn up for my DIY flight made from untreated wooden screen doors as panel walls. I'm ready to start breeding again.

Last edited:

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
Sounds like a wonderful recipe. I feel my English Budgie a seed combo I mix and also Zupreem Pellets. Your recipe sounds like a great addition to any birds palate. Let us know how it worked.

hotfoot jackson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Not quite on topic but it reminded me...we were going out vegie shopping and laughed that the cat had better behave...no ringing for pizza while we were gone...what kind?...a budgie and chicken pizza heavy on the budgie...he's always stalking the budgie.

iluvsunconure

Real Name
Raymond :]
My budgie eats apples and a little veggies. I guess that you can try.

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Okay, I was looking at this recipe. It is used as a staple diet for this mans birds (ranges from small to large birds). Could this be used for a budgie, and also, what else would needed to be given? Also, this could be made in 'large' quantities and then refrigerated, correct?

RECIPE:
Cook 2 ounces of quinoa with 5 ounces of water until water is absorbed.
2 cups of green leafy vegetables (like spinach, arugula, dandelion leaves, kale, etc)
4 middle-sized carrots
2 cups of broccoli, zucchini, celery, green beans, asparagus, etc.
I cut half of the vegetables into chunks, purée the rest and mix them into
the cooked quinoa. Depending on the season, I add dried or fresh herbs.
Fabulous! you can of course freeze the left-overs. My suggestion is to feed that mix only 2 x per week.
In addition, I would hang millet spray and feed lots of finely chopped fresh veggies & a bit of fruit...also, offer a good quality seed.
Be sure and test your seed mix by sprouting it. It's amazing how many 'dud' (non-viable) seed mixes there are.
Budgies love sprouts too.

FunnyBird

Strolling the yard
I'm curious as to the daily serving size of this recipe for finches ...actually I'm really wondering how much daily cooked quinoa I can place in their cage (1/8-1/4 cup??) that is acceptable for (5) finches.

ETA: I JUST READ THE REC FOR ONLY FEEDING THIS MIX A COUPLE TIMES A WEEK...COOL BUT IN YOUR FABULOUS OPINIONS HOW MUCH IS A SERVING?

Last edited:

southernbirds

For your Finches I am sure that either amount would work. My Finches loved a mixture of couscous, mushed peas and egg food. They just gobbled it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.