• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possible beak and feather disease.

Skittle

Moving in
Real Name
Chantelle
Hello, I live in Sydney Australia and ive found a rainbow lorikeet at the local lake. I’ve identified it to be a few months old going off it’s beak colour and size. (Correct me if I’m wrong)

The bird couldn’t fly, I googled how long until it will and realised it should be by now. I thought maybe it fell and hurt itself and that’s why it can’t fly. Since then it’s been doing green squirt poop.

I know now after researching that it’s an indication of the virus, as is the no flying.

I’ve decided to keep the bird and have an aviary, I’ve gotten Avione’ lorikeet mix and have also gottenVetafarm multivet vitamins.

I’ve fed it Apple, orange, honey and some apple, pear purée.

it’s not active or eating much, I feel this is abnormal.

it basically sits all day with its head bowed. It’s steady on its feet however.

I’m trying to force feed with a syringe, the bird is not stressing at all and is sort of taking the food but a lot is running out of its mouth.

I looked for tubing to feed staring into its tummy but nowhere sells it!

how many mls if the mix should it have daily do you think. It’s had about 2ml all day it’s 4pm

Can anyone help at all or share advice please. Thanks

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You need to be very careful syringe feeding it as they are easy to aspirate at any age if you have not been taught how to properly syringe feed.
Have you seen an AV for this bird?
@Monica @Mizzely @Hankmacaw @Birdbabe

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
We can help you find an AV if you’re comfortable sharing what area you’re in if you like.
It sounds to me that your bird may be unwell if it is not eating. Force feeding is very dangerous so please don’t do that..... tube feeding is extra dangerous and should only be done by recommendation of a qualified vet who has taught you how to safely do it.
I am hoping the others I have tagged who have more experience with medical stuff will be along soon to advise you.
Please stick around..... you will get answers and help from people who are very experienced with caring for unwell birds.

Skittle

Moving in
Real Name
Chantelle
Thank you, I’ve syringe fed and tube fed before. My mother studied in this area and we had many orphaned animals while I was growing up that we helped. I was going to do it how she did it.

I appreciate the help. The feeding was done via syringe from the side of the mouth and the bird was never stressed. I’ve given it a lot of affection and it is comfortable being held and touched on the face by me.
I’d love to get more advice, I’ve never done caring for a bird, this is new to me

I appreciate it!

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
Poor baby :(
Thank you for helping this sweet birb! I hope the vet finds the problem, and it’s nothing serious.

Btw... welcome to the Avenue!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Not sure if any of these are close (listed at the bottom of the page) to you. Having trouble cross referencing (actually doing anything lol) thanks to my bird helping me at the minute.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds are tough because they are so good at hiding illnesses, and when they are symptomatic, the outward symptoms can describe several ailments. I definitely recommend taking to the vet and going from there vs starting at the worst case scenario.

Skittle

Moving in
Real Name
Chantelle
Yay! I’m glad you guys don’t see anything indicating it

He’s walking around my house and talking abit now. It hasn’t spoken for 3 days. Maybe the food in the syringe helped him some, I had put the vitamins in that.

For now, what should I do about food. Should I try every hour or so to see if the bird will take a ml or two via syringe I f it isn’t eating in its own? Or do I leave it until tomorrow when I see the vet?

It has only had 2ml all day. That’s not enough right?

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
Will it eat out of a bowl if you show interest in it?

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could be a bacterial infection or anything. Needs to see a vet ASAP. I'd try feeding every couple hours to help keep it's energy level up, keep it hydrated & keep the bird warm. A birds normal temp is 105 degrees Fahrenheit (40 degrees Celsius). A plastic tub/lid/air holes with a heating pad under half of it will work to help keep him warm enough.

Avian Vets listed in Australia: AAVAC, NSW |Independent association of avian veterinarians in Australia and New Zealand

Best wishes.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Most parrots eat 10-15% of their body weight, in food, per day. I don't know if this differs with lorikeets or not...

What I do know is that *IF* this is a wild bird, you really should contact the local wildlife rehabbers and vets. It may or may not be legal to keep a wild bird. Perhaps you already know about that though if you've already done some wildlife rehab?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I, like others, see no symptoms of PBFD. In fact the bird looks well feathered. He probably needs to be fed at least every hour or so and since you have had experience go ahead and do that. Make the food quite watery so he will be hydrated too.

He of course, needs to see a vet very soon.

Welcome to AA.