• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poppers Update

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh! I think that's the best news of all the improvements! Who cares about a little noise after what you have all endured!!!!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was just wondering if it was an aspergillus infection, yeast or some other problem. It seems like asper is prone to causing voice changes along with surprising high weight loss and apparently fast onset. Never heard of it causing blindness or stroke through. Unless a chunk of a fungus colony broke off and got lodged somewhere. I've heard asper is quite difficult to treat unless they have come up with better meds recently. I knew of a blue front several years ago that nearly died of it. The owner was going through a hard time and stopped weighing his bird for a while. When he finally got around to it again he was shocked at how much she had lost. He promptly got the bird to the vet to start treatment but it was already quite advanced. Many trips back and forth from the vet hospital to scope and monitor progress. The bird lived but it was 6 months or more of intensive treatment.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I was just wondering if it was an aspergillus infection, yeast or some other problem. It seems like asper is prone to causing voice changes along with surprising high weight loss and apparently fast onset. Never heard of it causing blindness or stroke through. Unless a chunk of a fungus colony broke off and got lodged somewhere. I've heard asper is quite difficult to treat unless they have come up with better meds recently. I knew of a blue front several years ago that nearly died of it. The owner was going through a hard time and stopped weighing his bird for a while. When he finally got around to it again he was shocked at how much she had lost. He promptly got the bird to the vet to start treatment but it was already quite advanced. Many trips back and forth from the vet hospital to scope and monitor progress. The bird lived but it was 6 months or more of intensive treatment.
Aspergillosis is more prone to respitory. In poppers case, it was more GI track and digestive track. Thus, vet thought it was more of candida.
Her weight loss was drastic, she had partial paralysis, could see nothing out of one eye, balance was off, vocals gone,
Could hold no solid food down.
She almost went, she was close. But fought.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I have no idea how I'm just now seeing this but how is he now?! That would be so scary! I would be sickened if something like that happened to Sammy! :(

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have no idea how I'm just now seeing this but how is he now?! That would be so scary! I would be sickened if something like that happened to Sammy! :(
Poppers is doing really darn well now! Even started some minor talking this week!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
She's doing pretty good Victoria. Some of her vocals is coming back, but slowly. She regain most of her sight back, one eye is not 100% and vet isn't sure she'll get it 100% back.
But other than that, she fought hard and won.
The vet first thought stroke, but tests showed fungal infection was causing the problems. It was thought at first
Aspergillosis, because of "some" of the symptoms, but not her respitory, which was fine. So it was thought more candida.
Either way, she was treated we fought the hard fight, and she won.
I did take a couple bags of food to vet which she examine under scope, though she mentioned they are not a food lab and needed to be sent to an outside lab, she did say there was spores of fungus in food. The product was a summer blend and herbal medical food of daileys. Both contained many dried flowers, and herbs. There was a lot of pollen in with it. But not certain it was the true cause. Has to be verified.
Any hoo, she's doing great getting her weight back.
IMG_20191020_094440.jpg IMG_20191015_211739_1.jpg IMG_20190925_103539_1.jpg

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Looking beautiful and sassy Poppers.