• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poppers Update

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Knee mail going up for Poppers

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Prayers up.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Keeping :fingerscrossed: for Poppers. Hoping theres better news from the vets soon :sadhug2:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
A lot of that behavior sounds like it could be seizure activity if the symptoms in birds are the same as in dogs.

With dogs, the best thing to do is to keep them calm, minimize sensory input (sounds, light etc) and make sure they can't hurt themselves. I'd imagine it's the same with birds. They get disoriented and freaked out, so they may be prone to biting. Alternatively, they may freak out and become like velcro. It kind of depends. When my previous dog (Tink) was having seizures I would shut off all the lights and tv, put a blanket over her head (to block out light and muffle sounds), and sit near her talking calmly until she came around.

A seizure is really hard on the body, it will leave them exhausted. If you see her having a seizure and she doesn't come out of it, or if she has them one after another, that means it's time to haul butt to the vet. But unfortunately, with seizures there isn't really anything you can do but ride it out.

I'm no expert, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt, but this is stuff from my experience with dogs that I would imagine applies to birds too.

Big hugs to yall :sadhug2:Poppers, you got this honey. You can pull through, I know it :sadhug2:
@Hawk12237 I don't know if you saw this but I thought you might find it helpful :sadhug2:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Michael, please tell us Poppers is on the mend...
I wish I could tricia.... Right now time will tell.
She had another episode. Not as bad, but any is a concern. It's her arteries around heart. They are breaking small pieces of plaque, which probably caused the eye issue. They got her on meds for it...going to vet in morning.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Agh, not another! I’m so sorry and worried for Poppers. I hope the vet goes well tomorrow!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I wish I could tricia.... Right now time will tell.
She had another episode. Not as bad, but any is a concern. It's her arteries around heart. They are breaking small pieces of plaque, which probably caused the eye issue. They got her on meds for it...going to vet in morning.
I'm so sorry. I know how heartbreaking this is for you. I'm praying the vet will have some meds to help clear this up for her. I woke up in the middle of the night and had to check on her again. Sounds strange to have such a profound concern for a baby i've never even met, but I know I'm not the only one. We're all with you in this fight so never think you are alone in this. Poppers is in all out thoughts and prayers.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Ok all... Back from vet.
They are keeping poppers there. She lost another16 grams since a couple days ago. Getting thin. Down to 346...for an amazon, she needs to get back up to at least 480... For her size says vet. Very concerning!!
They are going to pump some fluids down, and some food. Then go from there. Run some tests.

I have been pureeing her food, sweet potato, lentiles, some tofu, a little apple, spinach, peas, little of banana, and a little cooked pasta. All pureed and fed by syringe. Soo, can't understand why she is losing wieght!?
Her beak pressure is poor, so I don't know about her swallowing.
I'm lost here...

Last edited:

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
:sadhug2:I am so sorry, poor Poppers.