• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poppers Update

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Michael took Poppers to the vet earlier today. Looks like she had a stroke. Her vision in one eye is now just dark shapes. Poppers is safely back home now. He and his wife are revamping Poppers cage and home areas to be safer for her now.
Michael will give us all more details later but is understandably extremely upset at the moment.

Blessings Poppers! We all love you!!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Please let Michael know we're thinking about him and Poppers. And, if Michael see this- my tiel Sunny had a stroke. It's definitely terrifying at the time. Not much can really be done except keep them calm and comfortable. However, the good news, is my vet says unlike with people, parrots tend to recover fairly quickly from strokes. I was amazed how quickly Sunny bounced back. I hope Poppers does the same.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Thanks Tricia for updating for me :D
This has been a long day. More so for poppers.
Her blood tests were back to normal from last test taken a few weeks back.
Her Xrays were also normal, no trauma, no inflamed organs...everything normal.
Her vision however was lost out of one eye. And a little bit out of other.
What happened?
Last evening we were all having comfortable flock time...my wife and I on couch with birds...they were quiet and watching tv.
Suddenly out of the blue poppers squawked very loud and took flight landing on my wife but couldn't get grip or right herself, was hanging upside down from her arm. I had to grab poppers by wings to right her. Then she flew straight into chair a few feet away....into cushion. Wings out, mouth open, one leg out and clenched, other against her body, and was like she was sitting on tail with leg out. She was delusional, like she couldn't see.
That was confirmed by vet that she couldn't see out of one eye. Eye wouldn't pin or dialate.
Suggesting she may have had a small stroke and freaked out, or seizure.
Her weight is 362 grams, which from her big size for a blue front. Could stand to gain 100 grams says vet.
She's on meds which I have to give by syringe, for rest of life.
So yea, I'm baffled!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Please let Michael know we're thinking about him and Poppers. And, if Michael see this- my tiel Sunny had a stroke. It's definitely terrifying at the time. Not much can really be done except keep them calm and comfortable. However, the good news, is my vet says unlike with people, parrots tend to recover fairly quickly from strokes. I was amazed how quickly Sunny bounced back. I hope Poppers does the same.
Sorry to hear about your tiel Michelle, it's good that it bounced back.
One thing I learned, I feed my birds, least I thought, a very healthy diet. But birds don't always eat it in a balanced way. They eat this skip that....soooo, got to back down off their seeds and pellets, and any nuts. So they are forced to eat more veggies, lentils and sprouts.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
How scary for Poppers! :sadhug2:

Im so glad your brought her immediately to the vet to have her examined, Michael. Sending lots of :heart: to Poppers and your flock.

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
Michael, just sending you thoughts and prayers for Poppers. I can only imagine how you feel and am in tears thinking about it. If love sent your way helps Poppers should be better soon.:hug8:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I didn't see this new thread till I PM'd you again. No need to respond... just know you & your family are in our thoughts & prayers.

:sadhug:

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
:sadhug2:I’ve been following along on the urgent thread. I’m so sorry this happened to poor Poppers. Your flock and family are in my thoughts and prayers, so very glad she has you looking out for her. :sadhug2:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
She's a little more alert, but still can't see well.
She's reluctant to eat this morning.
Has almost a shotty drainage from mouth...I
Not sure if vet missed something... But my guess has crop issue on top of the other issues.
Might get a second opinion today, another vet.
Dosen' t help that 3 pharmacies I stopped at didn't have her meds, has to be ordered. So won't get that till today.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Oh my!! I read this last night on the other post but the site was not working to let me on! I am so very sorry to hear this.

Please know you are in my thoughts!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
So sorry to here about Poppers!!!! Keep us posted, hopefully she will recover fast from this.:sadhug2:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Poor Poopers, how scary! I hope Poppers will be okay. Sending healing thoughts and prayers your way!
:sadhug2:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So sorry

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
So sorry this happened. Sending love and healing thoughts to Poppers. :sadhug2:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
A lot of that behavior sounds like it could be seizure activity if the symptoms in birds are the same as in dogs.

With dogs, the best thing to do is to keep them calm, minimize sensory input (sounds, light etc) and make sure they can't hurt themselves. I'd imagine it's the same with birds. They get disoriented and freaked out, so they may be prone to biting. Alternatively, they may freak out and become like velcro. It kind of depends. When my previous dog (Tink) was having seizures I would shut off all the lights and tv, put a blanket over her head (to block out light and muffle sounds), and sit near her talking calmly until she came around.

A seizure is really hard on the body, it will leave them exhausted. If you see her having a seizure and she doesn't come out of it, or if she has them one after another, that means it's time to haul butt to the vet. But unfortunately, with seizures there isn't really anything you can do but ride it out.

I'm no expert, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt, but this is stuff from my experience with dogs that I would imagine applies to birds too.

Big hugs to yall :sadhug2:Poppers, you got this honey. You can pull through, I know it :sadhug2:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Last edited:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm thinking she may have multiple issues going on. I PM'd him, I'm hoping he had time to read B4 leaving so hopefully they look @ everthing.