• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poppers update following stroke.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Walmart sells a good variety of gram/ounce scales and they are very reasonable. I have a perch on mine ,20 years old, and wish I didn't. Hard to weigh anything but a bird.

Well got a nice one at walmart just a bit ago.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
So glad Poppers is doing so much better and has gained weight! I hope there are no more episodes and she makes a full recovery!

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well got a nice one at walmart just a bit ago.
Well... Where's the pic? I'm glad you guys did ok w/ that tornado. Were the birds out of sorts @ all? Buddy always acts odd when there's a big thunderstorm on its way, & while it's happening. I'm not sure if it's cause he's a birdy or yhere was a trauma associated w/ them. But we talk to him & it keeps him calm. Thankfully!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Well... Where's the pic? I'm glad you guys did ok w/ that tornado. Were the birds out of sorts @ all? Buddy always acts odd when there's a big thunderstorm on its way, & while it's happening. I'm not sure if it's cause he's a birdy or yhere was a trauma associated w/ them. But we talk to him & it keeps him calm. Thankfully!
In a bit...second round of storms

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Very nice!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Ahh yea!!! My wife and I were on front porch, watching, there was emergency vehicle parked just up from our drive way, the guy was looking at field behind our pole barn. When I went to back porch there about 400 yards straight out was a funnel cloud.
My wife was right behind me, seen it, and we both dashed got birds in carrier and dog in basement.
Wind came up for oh 10 seconds if that and was calm again. No damage! Few limbs down from trees. But nothing major.
Talk about a pant full of ca-ca mountain!!!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Hate to tell you this but we have bad weather here tonight and it's heading your way. 3 tornadoes hit Sioux falls SD last night. We got over 1" of rain last night, the weather dudes are talking 1-3" tonight. We are under flash flood watch until 7pm tomorrow.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Stay safe with all the storms, Mother Nature gets crazy this time of year!

Poppers, you have a lot of friends on AA rooting you on to a full recovery!!

Glad to hear she’s gaining some weight and feeling a bit better :heart:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Hate to tell you this but we have bad weather here tonight and it's heading your way. 3 tornadoes hit Sioux falls SD last night. We got over 1" of rain last night, the weather dudes are talking 1-3" tonight. We are under flash flood watch until 7pm tomorrow.
That's a lot of water!! Can you swim?!? Grab the bathing suit and inner tube! Have to float out.!
Heck laurie, after we got slammed last nite, round two is happening right now! Raining so hard I might have to fire up the boat....just in case! And you say more is coming our way? Aww man!!!

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Stay safe with all the storms, Mother Nature gets crazy this time of year!

Poppers, you have a lot of friends on AA rooting you on to a full recovery!!

Glad to hear she’s gaining some weight and feeling a bit better :heart:

Poppers is doing great !! More alert, more active again...still have to syringe feed her, but after each syringe I give her a big smooch on head. Tell her she did good.!! Then she lets me clean her beak and under her beak and sides with wet cloth. She doesn't mind that.
Tonite for first time she climbed down off her gym stand, walked across floor, up to couch.
does this ehmmm, ehmmm, and puts foot up wanting me to pick her up to sit by me.
Past week she never moved from where I put her. Pretty much stayed put. She navigates the java tree to her water bowl, but that's it.P
So it's a big improvement.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
That's a lot of water!! Can you swim?!? Grab the bathing suit and inner tube! Have to float out.!
Heck laurie, after we got slammed last nite, round two is happening right now! Raining so hard I might have to fire up the boat....just in case! And you say more is coming out way? Aww man!!!
Not a good swimmer,but I'm on 3rd floor so I'm pretty safe ,I hope. I watched them drain the swimming pool 2 days ago and if we get all that rain they'll have to drain again. It's muggy ugly here, with some crazy skies . Weather band radio right next to my head. I'll hear it.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Poppers is doing great !! More alert, more active again...still have to syringe feed her, but after each syringe I give her a big smooch on head. Tell her she did good.!! Then she lets me clean her beak and under her beak and sides with wet cloth. She doesn't mind that.
Tonite for first time she climbed down off her gym stand, walked across floor, up to couch.
does this ehmmm, ehmmm, and puts foot up wanting me to pick her up to sit by me.
Past week she never moved from where I put her. Pretty much stayed put. She navigates the java tree to her water bowl, but that's it.P
So it's a big improvement.
Awww!:heart: So glad she’s feeling better every day. She knows that you’re taking good care of her too!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Poppers had a pretty big stroke /seizure this morning. Was a bad one!! I honestly thought this was it, she was going to go.
She couldn't hold herself up, couldn't hold head up, both wings out, feet straight out, wimpering.
I kept her warm, and wrapped petting her while wife was on phone to vet.
Said to give it 20-30 minutes. We did and she's back to normal, exhausted but back.....God is this scary as he11!!!!!
My nerves are rattled! @Hankmacaw , Mary, I know exactly what you went through with hank now....this is in no way fun... !
5-10 minutes after stroke...
IMG_20190912_092643.jpg

30 minutes after...
IMG_20190912_100309.jpg

Last edited:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
So sorry but happy it ended that good.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I managed to get food and fluids down her by syringe, about an hour / hour and half after the episode when she seemed more stable.
She took it and her meds. So letting her rest up now....
It's a hard thing to go through, and though she appeared pretty good last few days, vet did warn me that at anytime she could go through another episode, and they could be mild or pretty strong. I didn't want to quite accept that fact just yet... But reality is, yea she could have one that ends it at anytime too. Just not ready for that to happen.
You can see vet, you can give appropriate meds, and oxygen, but very little vet can actually do to reverse it.
The vets closed today as all staff is attending some seminar. Though did reach her by cell.
Told me to keep her warm, and close to you, and let her ride it out.
She wants to see her as soon as she's back in office, might go with meds that help prevent the episodes as well. She doesn't believe in over medicating, why she didn't prescribe it to begin with.
This episode was the strongest one yet for poppers!