• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poppers update following stroke.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I can only go with my own experience with my birds' seizures and the description that others have given of their experience. Of course, my vet, Dr. Driggers explained very thoroughly what a seizure is and what to watch for. Jasper has only had two mini-teeny-weeny seizures that I caught before they intensified. But Hank had probably a dozen over a three week period before his final week and death.

1st seizure - Hank was outside on his perch. He jumped/fell to the ground and ran in tight circles, dragging a clenched foot until I caught him and held him. I put him in the oxygen box as soon as he seemed a little better and it took him three hours to recover. That one was bad.

I of course got right on the phone to Dr. Driggers described Hanks seizure in detail and got instructions on what to do. Thankfully I had done the right thing by putting him in his oxygen box and staying with him for comfort. Seizures scare the S___ out of a bird. They are physically hard on a bird and, just like with a human, they are very, very exhausted after a seizure.

2nd seizure (the worst one he had) - Without warning he flew down off his perch flew in a semicircle and hit the side of the house. He went down and both legs were stiff and his feet were clinched and he was jerking and flopping. I knew he might bite me, but I picked him up gently and cuddled him. He stopped the jerking after a few minutes and I once again put him in his oxygen box. Took several hours 3-4 for him to become cognizant again. Soon after I thought he was out of the wood, I saw that his right eye was whirling in circles while his right eye was still - another seizure. I called the Dr. and he named it (I can't remember). Dr. said to keep him under oxygen for a few more hours and feed him by syringe - I did and Hank came out of it..

Dr. sent me five syringes of valium and told me to give him an injection if a seizure didn't stop - never had to do that because they got better and better. By this time I was feeding him by syringe with some pretty strong food the minute he woke in the morning. He had low blood sugar due to not digesting much of his food. He was dying, but we didn't quite realize it yet.

3rd seizure - He was sitting on his outside perch and I could see him starting into a seizure. He just stiffened and fell I got to him before he hit the ground and he jerked all over and was all stiff. His feet were balled again. I held him and talked to him until he started coming out of it, then put him in the oxygen box and stayed with him.

He had several more, but they got less and less severe and finally quit altogether.

Remember the first time when Popper flew crazy and her foot was balled up - that was typical seizure. Not a doubt in my mind that she had four seizures.

Those memories took the starch right out of me, so I'm gone for awhile.

So sorry for hank. Must have been awful to watch. I know when poppers went through it I was worried she was going to go.
I also know that at any time or any day she could literally have another. So far been 5 days since last one... That one was very small and didn't last long. But your right though, they get very exhausted after it happens. A stroke/seizure has to be very scary for a bird.
Hope I didn't bring up bad memories for you.
Did you design their gym? It's outstanding!
yea, the toys and that...the frame I bought.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so glad that she's progressing positively... Did they ever say high BP? If her BP is slowly coming down she may still have a bit of a headache, even obscured sugar levels can cause a headache... These could be the extra cuddling w/Mrs. Hawk & extra headrubs. Just a thought.

How are you holding up w/ the S. feeding? I'd be having a hard time w/ the verbal No's she's saying.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Your set up is very lovely! Thinking of you Poppers.

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I know, baby steps... I'll be honest, it's almost like having a different bird. Though she's improving, her actions and reactions are totally different.
For instance, she isn't totally fond of my wife. I
It's always been her terms. Now she cuddled right up.
Never like her head rubbed, now she wants it constantly. Pushed her head into the palm of my hand.
She's my baby and always will be.
She managed to climb her gym.
View attachment 314835 View attachment 314836

Yes, I meant that and didn't feel like giving it any credit via the moniker of the initials!

Possible sodium maybe increasing BP to trigger the stroke like symptoms.

Anyway, you are back on the right track diet wise. I pray for this sweet Zonnie to recover completely! Hugs to you all!

First vet yea, that could be a possibility.
But second vet wasn't sure if that was the cause.
Sodium is definitely a trigger that can raise blood pressure.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I'm so glad that she's progressing positively... Did they ever say high BP? If her BP is slowly coming down she may still have a bit of a headache, even obscured sugar levels can cause a headache... These could be the extra cuddling w/Mrs. Hawk & extra headrubs. Just a thought.

How are you holding up w/ the S. feeding? I'd be having a hard time w/ the verbal No's she's saying.

Her blood pressure was actually low when vet checked it right after she had a small episode at vets office. That might explain the weakness when she had it.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Her weight increased from 340 grams when I took poppers in last Thursday which they kept her in for a couple days.
Then weighed her moments ago on my gram scale, she's up to 398...yeay!
Her poops also are returning to normal bulk consistancy. Also a yeay!!...
Still needs to get higher for a large BFA.
But on course!!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Have you thought about adding something tasty to the nasty meds. They added pina colada to the nasty anti botic he had to take one time and it made it easier to get him to take it because at least it tasted OK to him. Of course he fully trusted me and I'd just paste his face against the bars and squeeze it in real quick if he was being obstinate. He usually wouldn't bite me and quickly forgave me. Lurch would have tore me up, so he probably would have been towled, Dobby probably would be like Nerd, he's pretty laid-back and gentle.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Well poppers had her follow up vet check today. A week more on emeraid omnivore. Then she can come off and on regular food again.
Her weight hit 400 grams...whoo hoo!!! Putting the weight back on...!
Here poop has returned to normal....yeay!!!
So she's doing good. I'm pleased with the progress. After what she looked liked just over a week ago, I was afraid I was going to lose her.
Not on my watch if I can help it.
Soo, learned a lot about the stroke/ seizure in all this....was stressful and scary. I thought I faced everything when it came to birds....this was a new exp for me.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
What a great update - weight gain and the lot!

She actually (lol ) walked over slowly grabbed one of my prepared syringes, and tossed it into floor, then slowly walked back away...

HAAAA! She is a smart one. So glad she is better - keep up the outstanding work!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Outstanding news!

You are such a lucky little one Poppers. Your family loves you :xflove::joyful:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Glad Poppers is getting better.

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Yay Poppers!! I’m so glad to hear she’s recovering!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
YAY Poppers you go girl!!! Michael you know that you may have go back to regular food slowly right. Maybe a feeding of emeraid then bite size bits of her normal diet. If she gets pellets you may have to soften them first with a little boiled water and letting them sit and soften. Even if she is recognizing food she will need to transition to her normal diet.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Wow.. best news ever! She gained weight so quickly. I know she must feel so much better.