• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poppers update following stroke.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Hi all...
As promised, I have up date on poppers.

Sense her few episodes of stroke like symptoms, ( as seen in video on 911 thread) and a couple days stay at vet hospital. She has improved quite a bit.
She's back to walking straight and up right,
Putting her weight back on slowly. Her infection
Is clearing up in her crop and stomach. Her poop is normal, considering the medication 3 times daily.
She actually talked a few times. Very little though. To tell me no, when I got syringe to feed her and medicate her. The meds are doing it job cleaning up the infection. And she had not had any more episodes of stroke like symptoms.
She actually (lol ) walked over slowly grabbed one of my prepared syringes, and tossed it into floor, then slowly walked back away...
So neurologically, she understands that...
She manages to navigate her cage and over to gruesome cage....drinks water on her own...and has tried to eat soft ( steamed) veggies from her bowl... So she recognized the food.
She has been testing quite a bit, which is good for her. So over all she's making a great recovery so far. Still will be on meds for another week at least. But she's a fighter.
Currently been feed and medicated, and she's not a happy camper that daddy has to stick that thingy in her mouth while toweled. That emerald IC omnivore is some tasteless stuff....no wonder she isn't happy....taste like crap!

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Big :hug8: to Poppers! She is such a strong girl -- I know she will get through this :heart:

Also, thank you Michael for taking care of her. It always makes my heart happy to know that theres good people out there who care so much :swoon:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
She will stay on the Isoxsuprine for the rest of her life - won't she? Coronary/Atrial occlusions don't go away.

Gald she is doing better. Sounds like along with the coronary disease, she was just starving to death from the infection.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Big :hug8: to Poppers! She is such a strong girl -- I know she will get through this :heart:

Also, thank you Michael for taking care of her. It always makes my heart happy to know that theres good people out there who care so much :swoon:

She is a strong girl...I won't let any animal suffer in my care.... I treat them best I can and get them back to health. Just the way I am.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
She will stay on the Isoxsuprine for the rest of her life - won't she? Coronary/Atrial occlusions don't go away.

Gald she is doing better. Sounds like along with the coronary disease, she was just starving to death from the infection.

Yea I think so Mary.... I ask the vet about that and she mentioned she most likely will have to be on that for rest of her life.
As for her infection, yes she basically wasn't getting any benefit from any food. In other words starving. But she's been eating now. And parking right up.
Like you and a couple others, I too question the vets knowledge of neurological issues in birds. Like for instance, did she really have a stroke or was she so hungry and not getting the nutrients from the food that it made her very dizzy and that!?! I know, lots of questions.
But main thing is there is significant improvement.

IMG_20190909_111838.jpg

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm extremely happy to read this post. Have been very worried about your sweet green chicken, and thrilled to know that she's now on the mend!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I can only go with my own experience with my birds' seizures and the description that others have given of their experience. Of course, my vet, Dr. Driggers explained very thoroughly what a seizure is and what to watch for. Jasper has only had two mini-teeny-weeny seizures that I caught before they intensified. But Hank had probably a dozen over a three week period before his final week and death.

1st seizure - Hank was outside on his perch. He jumped/fell to the ground and ran in tight circles, dragging a clenched foot until I caught him and held him. I put him in the oxygen box as soon as he seemed a little better and it took him three hours to recover. That one was bad.

I of course got right on the phone to Dr. Driggers described Hanks seizure in detail and got instructions on what to do. Thankfully I had done the right thing by putting him in his oxygen box and staying with him for comfort. Seizures scare the S___ out of a bird. They are physically hard on a bird and, just like with a human, they are very, very exhausted after a seizure.

2nd seizure (the worst one he had) - Without warning he flew down off his perch flew in a semicircle and hit the side of the house. He went down and both legs were stiff and his feet were clinched and he was jerking and flopping. I knew he might bite me, but I picked him up gently and cuddled him. He stopped the jerking after a few minutes and I once again put him in his oxygen box. Took several hours 3-4 for him to become cognizant again. Soon after I thought he was out of the wood, I saw that his right eye was whirling in circles while his right eye was still - another seizure. I called the Dr. and he named it (I can't remember). Dr. said to keep him under oxygen for a few more hours and feed him by syringe - I did and Hank came out of it..

Dr. sent me five syringes of valium and told me to give him an injection if a seizure didn't stop - never had to do that because they got better and better. By this time I was feeding him by syringe with some pretty strong food the minute he woke in the morning. He had low blood sugar due to not digesting much of his food. He was dying, but we didn't quite realize it yet.

3rd seizure - He was sitting on his outside perch and I could see him starting into a seizure. He just stiffened and fell I got to him before he hit the ground and he jerked all over and was all stiff. His feet were balled again. I held him and talked to him until he started coming out of it, then put him in the oxygen box and stayed with him.

He had several more, but they got less and less severe and finally quit altogether.

Remember the first time when Popper flew crazy and her foot was balled up - that was typical seizure. Not a doubt in my mind that she had four seizures.

Those memories took the starch right out of me, so I'm gone for awhile.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm so sorry for what you've gone through (and what @Hawk12237 is currently going through).

May it bring both of you comfort to know your pets were (and are) surrounded with love.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
That's great Michael!!! So happy Poppers is doing so much better!
You are an AWESOME Daddy!!!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
It takes baby steps to get them feeling better. Everyday is fresh start to renewing what they learn and remember. No doubt Poppers will start eating on her with your help.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Continued healing prayers for your Poppers. :heart:

Just asking as a side note here. Does your Vet suspect these issues are related to the prior diet?

Thanks!!!
You mean WD's? Can't say, without a full analysis of each food packet. Could be, then it could be something else. We'll never really know the answer to that.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Thanks!!!
You mean WD's? Can't say, without a full analysis of each food packet. Could be, then it could be something else. We'll never really know the answer to that.

Yes, I meant that and didn't feel like giving it any credit via the moniker of the initials!

Possible sodium maybe increasing BP to trigger the stroke like symptoms.

Anyway, you are back on the right track diet wise. I pray for this sweet Zonnie to recover completely! Hugs to you all!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
It takes baby steps to get them feeling better. Everyday is fresh start to renewing what they learn and remember. No doubt Poppers will start eating on her with your help.
I know, baby steps... I'll be honest, it's almost like having a different bird. Though she's improving, her actions and reactions are totally different.
For instance, she isn't totally fond of my wife. I
It's always been her terms. Now she cuddled right up.
Never like her head rubbed, now she wants it constantly. Pushed her head into the palm of my hand.
She's my baby and always will be.
She managed to climb her gym.
IMG_20190909_164009.jpg IMG_20190909_163938.jpg

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Thanks!!!

Yes, I meant that and didn't feel like giving it any credit via the moniker of the initials!

Possible sodium maybe increasing BP to trigger the stroke like symptoms.

Anyway, you are back on the right track diet wise. I pray for this sweet Zonnie to recover completely! Hugs to you all!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I can only go with my own experience with my birds' seizures and the description that others have given of their experience. Of course, my vet, Dr. Driggers explained very thoroughly what a seizure is and what to watch for. Jasper has only had two mini-teeny-weeny seizures that I caught before they intensified. But Hank had probably a dozen over a three week period before his final week and death.

1st seizure - Hank was outside on his perch. He jumped/fell to the ground and ran in tight circles, dragging a clenched foot until I caught him and held him. I put him in the oxygen box as soon as he seemed a little better and it took him three hours to recover. That one was bad.

I of course got right on the phone to Dr. Driggers described Hanks seizure in detail and got instructions on what to do. Thankfully I had done the right thing by putting him in his oxygen box and staying with him for comfort. Seizures scare the S___ out of a bird. They are physically hard on a bird and, just like with a human, they are very, very exhausted after a seizure.

2nd seizure (the worst one he had) - Without warning he flew down off his perch flew in a semicircle and hit the side of the house. He went down and both legs were stiff and his feet were clinched and he was jerking and flopping. I knew he might bite me, but I picked him up gently and cuddled him. He stopped the jerking after a few minutes and I once again put him in his oxygen box. Took several hours 3-4 for him to become cognizant again. Soon after I thought he was out of the wood, I saw that his right eye was whirling in circles while his right eye was still - another seizure. I called the Dr. and he named it (I can't remember). Dr. said to keep him under oxygen for a few more hours and feed him by syringe - I did and Hank came out of it..

Dr. sent me five syringes of valium and told me to give him an injection if a seizure didn't stop - never had to do that because they got better and better. By this time I was feeding him by syringe with some pretty strong food the minute he woke in the morning. He had low blood sugar due to not digesting much of his food. He was dying, but we didn't quite realize it yet.

3rd seizure - He was sitting on his outside perch and I could see him starting into a seizure. He just stiffened and fell I got to him before he hit the ground and he jerked all over and was all stiff. His feet were balled again. I held him and talked to him until he started coming out of it, then put him in the oxygen box and stayed with him.

He had several more, but they got less and less severe and finally quit altogether.

Remember the first time when Popper flew crazy and her foot was balled up - that was typical seizure. Not a doubt in my mind that she had four seizures.

So sorry for hank. Must have been awful to watch. I know when poppers went through it I was worried she was going to go.
I also know that at any time or any day she could literally have another. So far been 5 days since last one... That one was very small and didn't last long. But your right though, they get very exhausted after it happens. A stroke/seizure has to be very scary for a bird.
Hope I didn't bring up bad memories for you.