• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poppers update following stroke.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Agh, I’m so sorry she had another one, and a big one too. Sending hugs to you and Poppers.
:sadhug2:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so sorry, Mike. Just stick in there. Dr.s generally don't give Phenobarbital until seizures become chronic and the seizures are idiopathic (no diagnosed cause).
Ask her what she feels the cause is. Ask what tests can be done to determine the cause. Ask if an MRI of her brain would identify any abnormalities in the brain- either causing the seizures or caused by the seizures. Ask which medication she plans to give Poppers and WHY. As if a regimen of Gabapentin would be worth trying for awhile.

I cannot stress too much to keep her out of bright lights and to keep her calm and quiet. The oxygen is important.

I'm thinking of you guys.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I'm so sorry, Mike. Just stick in there. Dr.s generally don't give Phenobarbital until seizures become chronic and the seizures are idiopathic (no diagnosed cause).
Ask her what she feels the cause is. Ask what tests can be done to determine the cause. Ask if an MRI of her brain would identify any abnormalities in the brain- either causing the seizures or caused by the seizures. Ask which medication she plans to give Poppers and WHY. As if a regimen of Gabapentin would be worth trying for awhile.

I cannot stress too much to keep her out of bright lights and to keep her calm and quiet. The oxygen is important.

I'm thinking of you guys.

Thanks Mary!! I wrote all questions down to ask her. The MRI might be a good idea.
I was about to feed her by syringe and give her medication by syringe, was getting all syringes set up so all I had to do is wrap her in towel then go one syringe at time.
About time I wrapped her, I seen her eyes doing circles and back and forth, she was wimpering, I set her down without doing any syringes yet and it happened!
I'm wondering if the stress wasn't the trigger?!?!??
Your right and think that's why my vet held off on prescribing that. Got the lights off in bird room and it's very quiet in house. Too quiet actually.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm wondering if the stress wasn't the trigger?!?!??
That is what I'm thinking.
I remember when Popper get scared from that stupid woman, she was really freaking out.
She is sensitive and the reason could have something to do with her past.
When you are doing what you are doing it can remind her of something that is a trauma for her. Poor girl. :(

Try to do it differently so you lower her stress levels.
Do you need to towel her?
Can't your wife do it if it's necessary.
Try that and see what happens.

I wish you all the luck. ♥
I will be sending Popper a lot of positive and healing thoughts. ♥

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
That is what I'm thinking.
I remember when Popper get scared from that stupid woman, she was really freaking out.
She is sensitive and the reason could have something to do with her past.
When you are doing what you are doing it can remind her of something that is a trauma for her. Poor girl. :(

Try to do it differently so you lower her stress levels.
Do you need to towel her?
Can't your wife do it if it's necessary.
Try that and see what happens.

I wish you all the luck. ♥
I will be sending Popper a lot of positive and healing thoughts. ♥
I was thinking about that incident with that stupid woman and her hawk call thingy on phone. Wondering if it wasn't a trigger or a coincidence, or even a stroke then that got missed thinking it was the hawk call thingy!?!
Sometimes I can get her on back of chair and hold her head, she'll take a syringe.....but most of time I have to towel her.
I have to do it steady yet quickly, because she'll bite end of syringe right off. That's all I need, her to choke on plastic! I'm on my second set of 15 syringes all ready!!

Last edited:

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How's our girl been doing?