• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poppers rushed off to vets!! In bad shape.Sad update-post#32

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Sounds like my luck. I'm so sorry all these things are stacking up. I'm going to be gone a few days, but thinking about you and everyone here.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I'm sorry Michael. Not what you need right now to stress out over Poppers. Think as positively as you can and I'll put her in my prayers!
Thanks Andrea, The stress ...it's definitely not what I need right now. I did not see that coming.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Oh mercy... as they say - when it rains, it pours. Hoping for a good outcome - but QUIT that driving until Saturday!
When it rains it pours.....hoping for good out come too.
But she was quite poorly suddenly, and continued to last.

So sorry to hear this! I was hoping she was out of the woods now and things could get back to normal now that you are home again. hang tough!!
I thought so too, she got an all clear about 2-3 weeks back
from her battle with infection and was doing good. Literally turned on a dime today!!

Mike, I'm so sorry about Poppers. I'm sure the Dr. will figure it out and send her home as good as new. Her seizures may be idiopathic (without known cause). If they are she may need to be on medication for life.
I sure hope so, she was in bad shape mary. Vet grabbed her the second I came in and left everyone else waiting in lobby with their pets. She's keeping her, probably taking her home. Was to call me if anything happened. So far no phone call. She's going to run several tests. Poppers did a 360 in a blink of an eye, lucky I was right there.

Omg Mike! I'm so very sorry. I really thought she was on the mend. Please keep us posted. Give a shout if there is anything I can do.
We all thought she was on the mend Tricia, even Vet. And poppers appeared to be doing great. Then did a 360 in a blink of an eye. And she didn't recover from seizure this time. She was barely functioning at vets. Breathing hard
and wimpering.

Egads Michael. You're really scaring us. :hug8:
Sorry John, I don't mean to. Hasn't been a good last 7 days at all.

I'm so sorry to hear about Poppers. I hope both of you feel better soon
Thanks Sarah, I'm doing good, but I feel I failed poppers.

Praying for you Poppers. My heart is heavy hearing this news, Mike.
Thank you....we 'll know something come morning.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Mike, I'm so sorry about Poppers. I'm sure the Dr. will figure it out and send her home as good as new. Her seizures may be idiopathic (without known cause). If they are she may need to be on medication for life.
I hope your right Mary, it's just so darn baffling. She's been doing really good. She still had to be syringe fed morning and evening so she got her digestive enzymes, and meds for arteries. When I was in hospital recovering from heart attack, I wanted to come home, and just go back for testing and stent....no, they wouldn't let me go home. No one that can touch poppers without getting bit. So for 5 days she didn't get her meds. I feel like I failed poppers.
I was caught of guard with this small heart attack. Was enough to stop you in your tracks. But when I got home from hospital. Got her right back on her meds.
Seemed quite fine, active and that. She was peering out window from window perch just after 1pm. So I thought want to come in dining room sit by daddy on the java tree?
She stepped up, went on tree. While I was sitting at dinning room table she tumbled down from top perch and was laying on her side, feet clenched and totally not with it.
I grabbed her, got some anti seizure meds in her I always keep near by just in case. Got some water in her. Put her in travel cage and off I went. Called vet said to be ready, as she's in bad shape.
In past she came out of seizure in a few minutes, and only had like 3 total so far. Today, she didn't come out of that well.
So I don't know Mary, I feel I failed her. I never failed a bird, never had one as sick as poppers had been. Never had one die on me. Had old birds that passed away. But not young ones.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I hope your right Mary, it's just so darn baffling. She's been doing really good. She still had to be syringe fed morning and evening so she got her digestive enzymes, and meds for arteries. When I was in hospital recovering from heart attack, I wanted to come home, and just go back for testing and stent....no, they wouldn't let me go home. No one that can touch poppers without getting bit. So for 5 days she didn't get her meds. I feel like I failed poppers.
I was caught of guard with this small heart attack. Was enough to stop you in your tracks. But when I got home from hospital. Got her right back on her meds.
Seemed quite fine, active and that. She was peering out window from window perch just after 1pm. So I thought want to come in dining room sit by daddy on the java tree?
She stepped up, went on tree. While I was sitting at dinning room table she tumbled down from top perch and was laying on her side, feet clenched and totally not with it.
I grabbed her, got some anti seizure meds in her I always keep near by just in case. Got some water in her. Put her in travel cage and off I went. Called vet said to be ready, as she's in bad shape.
In past she came out of seizure in a few minutes, and only had like 3 total so far. Today, she didn't come out of that well.
So I don't know Mary, I feel I failed her. I never failed a bird, never had one as sick as poppers had been. Never had one die on me. Had old birds that passed away. But not young ones.
Mike, please don't feel like you've failed Poppers. What happened to you was not in your control. You were not in a position to stay home and ignore your own health without suffering a very serious consequence. We cannot always be in command of our own lives when these events happen so please, as stressful as this is for you do not get yourself worked up. She's in the vets care, where she should be at this time. I know it must be so hard but do get your rest... take care of your heart or you won't be able to take care of her. All of God's blessings dearie... for you, Poppers and your wife. Keep the faith.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Mike, please don't feel like you've failed Poppers. What happened to you was not in your control. You were not in a position to stay home and ignore your own health without suffering a very serious consequence. We cannot always be in command of our own lives when these events happen so please, as stressful as this is for you do not get yourself worked up. She's in the vets care, where she should be at this time. I know it must be so hard but do get your rest... take care of your heart or you won't be able to take care of her. All of God's blessings dearie... for you, Poppers and your wife. Keep the faith.
Thanks Andrea, it's just wasn't what I was expecting to come home to.

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
Thanks Andrea, it's just wasn't what I was expecting to come home to.
I agree that you clearly did your best, you didn't choose to have a heart attack, you might have not been able to be there for anyone if you hurt yourself trying to go against doctor's orders. I'm so sorry that Poppers is sick, I'm sure tons of us are keeping her in our thoughts and hoping she'll recover and come home soon. She's where she needs to be, with a vet. You've done the best you can for her, try to get some rest so that you can keep recovering and have the energy to handle this stuff.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Bless your heart - and I'm sure that is normal to feel that way, but you are also in a weakened condition from normal, and probably your emotional state is running high from that alone. You have not failed Poppers, you have done everything you possibly could, and more! Just keep healing, and we will keep praying and fingers crossed here.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
OH Mike-Im so very sorry You were a wonderful Dad for poppers and you did everything you could for her.She had a wonderful life filled with love,she knew that you loved her.PLEASE do NOT blame yourself it will not bring her back and it will not do You any good at all. 1576244256926.png :sadhug2: :sadhug2: :sadhug2: :sadhug2: :sadhug2:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hank had four or five seizures and I learned to recognize if one might be imminent. About his third seizure was bad - he didn't come out of it right away. It lasted for hours and I put him in the oxygen box immediately and watched him constantly. He had the seizure early in the morning and had another at 3 pm. I was on the phone with Dr. Driggers and he guided me through the nightmare. Afterwards, Hank was exhausted and wanted to sleep, which Dr. said was the best thing for him.

Driving him to the Dr. was not an option. Dr. Driggers is 1:40 hour's drive at best. I had the O2 box which is what Dr. would have done. Dr. sent me three syringes (injection) with Valium in them which will most often bring them out of the seizure immediately. Never had to use them. We determined that low blood sugar was causing the seizures and from then on I hand fed him immediately when he got up.. Ask your Dr. for some valium and buy an O2 box.

Here is the company and the oxygen concentrator I recommend. They will get it to you within two days.

Reconditioned Devilbiss 525DS 5LPM Oxygen Concentrator with Low Purity Sensor

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
:cry3::crycry::crycry::crycry::crycry::cry3:
:sadhug2::sadhug2: I'm so so sorry

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Truly sorry for your loss. No one can make it easier, but know that we do care. Fly high forever, Poppers.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
My heart just sank. Michael... I am so very sad and sorry to hear this. She lived in glory with you through the years you had her. There aren't too many words that can be of comfort, but know that each and every one of us are hugging you right now.