• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poppers had another real bad episode

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
The odd thing about the statistics of the fungal infection is that though they can infect any parrot, the Blue front amazon is the one that tops the list for it most of all parrots. Followed by African greys and mynah birds in that order.
In poppers case, the fungal infection affected the gastro-intestinal tract, the eye, sinuses and the central nervous system. Which gave her the stroke/ seizure like symptoms.
It affected the eye, if not treated immediately, she risked permanent damage and loss.
And it did a number on her intestinal tract.
So how does a bird get fungal infection? It can come from bought food ( seeds food mixes...wd ring a bell??) It can come from running your air conditioner, or having birds in humidity. It can come from allowing a cage to be wet after they bath in water bowl after you just cleaned cage. It can come from kissing your bird. ( Yes it's common for humans to carry Candida in their mouth from an infection which becomes secondary infection to birds)
There are variety of ways to get fungal infection. Aspergillosis is a birds worst enemy, oh it's treatable if gotten to vet asap. First sign is loss of voice, and loss of appetite and weight loss. The treatment, most commonly prescribed one, is itraconazole, because it has the least side effects.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh Yea! I'm so glad everything is looking tip top. My only question is what's the theory (if one) on her loss of voice?

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Oh Yea! I'm so glad everything is looking tip top. My only question is what's the theory (if one) on her loss of voice?
The fungal infection affects the vocals, begins to colonize down the throat. Into intestines. Affecting eyes, and making it hard to eat solid foods, let alone digest.
Fungal infection spreads rapidly, it's very important to keep the schedule of meds, even if it means getting up in wee morning. They have to have it. Fungal infection takes no prisoners and it can't tell time. It's just knows how to grow and multiply. It can affect organs and central nervous system, giving stroke and seizure like symptoms.
So yea, it's like a person having strep throat, the flu and stomach flu, diarrhea, loss of appetite.
Now you have an idea of what the parrot goes through.
Not fun! But she pulled through. The infection is treatable for as long as a person really pushed to get food, water and meds down and not skip any scheduled times, you'll recover.

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
So far so good with poppers. I must admit, I worry everyday if it will come back. Really makes you worry about them.
But she's doing good! The enzymes are doing it's job and she's looking good and healthy again!
the meds did it's job to clear her, and that wasn't easy.
Now she eats and drinks well on her own, must say she has quite the appetite now than when she did being sick for several weeks.
Her voice is still scratchy, but getting there. But much more alert, and active. Her eye sight is remarkably better. Plumage really improving.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
That's fabulous... I'm so glad your girl is making a strong recovery!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I'm so glad after all the baloney that little girl has been thru, this is turning out so much better than the vets could even predict.
I'll be honest here, I held hope, but part of me prepared myself to lose her too. That day she walked lop sided, lay on her side in my hand, eyes half close, having hard time holding head up, unable to see properly, I thought she was going to go.
But I just sat there talking to her say no no no, your not doing this, your going to fight this, daddy will help. I wore myself out, getting up in middle of nite, getting food down her and water and meds. I kept a strict schedule on meds and feeding.
We beat it... She recovered... I am more cautious than ever now, and I know that could easily happen again. So I'm not taking any chances.
I just happy I have her back. I've had many birds, but I'm no pro in dealing with a sick bird. I'm not a vet, nor am a god. But I am persistent.
I never had a bird this sick in all my 44 yrs years of parrots. I've dealt with sour crop, broken toe, disabilities, but nothing like this.
I learned a great deal about it and dealing with it. There's many people out there, and even here on AA that never experienced this yet, nor know how to deal with it, let alone afford the enormous vet bill that goes with it. Thus The bird passes. Infections are the number one cause of death in birds. Treatable in most cases, provided you get to vet asap. Then dedicate 24/7 of your time to monitor, feed every 3-4 hours, meds every 4-8 hours, ( depending on meds), and getting fluids down. For 8 weeks at least and All done by syringe, because during that time, bird has no appetite, and has hard time absorbing the nutrients in food. So getting up in wee hours is crucial, if you want your bird to survive.

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I'm so glad after all the baloney that little girl has been thru, this is turning out so much better than the vets could even predict.
Even the vet was happy! Part of me thinks that the vet even thought she wasn't going to make it.
Just wasn't coming out and saying it.
But was pleased on last visit.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
But I just sat there talking to her say no no no, your not doing this, your going to fight this, daddy will help. I wore myself out, getting up in middle of nite, getting food down her and water and meds. I kept a strict schedule on meds and feeding.
We beat it... She recovered...

Like you, there had been numerous times that I wouldn't allow Hank to die and he fought a noble battle himself. Cancer finally got him and I couldn't do a thing about cancer.

This is why I keep telling people who have severely ill birds to never give up - fight to the very end.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Like I did with Rocky. We fought together, the both of us. Me to get him to eat every 4 hours, something with calories, something interesting that he loved. Keeping his boo boo clean dry and not being picked at.
Him to keep his balance, to eat and most of all to fight the very best fight he had.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Like you, there had been numerous times that I wouldn't allow Hank to die and he fought a noble battle himself. Cancer finally got him and I couldn't do a thing about cancer.

This is why I keep telling people who have severely ill birds to never give up - fight to the very end.
Hank sounded like a brave bird, a fighter. Where there's love, there's always a reason to fight.
I've always told people, infection of any sort in a bird is treatable, provided a person follows through with each step, keeping the meds in and following the schedule, never ever miss one.
And by that I mean getting up in wee morning hours. 2, 3 or 4 in morning to get meds, and fluids, even a bit of food by syringe. And never assuming you can skip the night time when bird is asleep. The need for meds, fluids and food by syringe trumps the need for rest. The bird will get the chance to go back to sleep. Thinking your bird needs the rest and you can skip the meds, fluids and food till you get up in morning will cost you dearly.
Infections are the number one killer of birds, most are treatable if you follow through.
There is a catch, you have to be very dedicated 24/7 to this for about 6-8 weeks minimum.
I get that there are people out there that work and can't take that kind of time off if bird gets sick. I'm fortunate enough to be on mini retirement. Because if I were working full time, I don't know how I would have saved poppers. A vet won't look after your bird 24/ 7 for 6-8 weeks.
They only identify the cause, and get correct meds, instructing you on what you need to do. It's up to the person to follow through if they are to save their bird.
The vet cost can be astronomical. And understand people can't afford the vet, and bird dies. That's sad. I keep a can and put 20 or more a month in it for emergency vet bills. You might go 5, 10 , 15 years with out emergency. But it's there when it happens.
Some people have the mentality that it won't happen to their bird, that it's too healthy. Don't kid yourselves, the risks are always present.
And when it happens, it's devastating! I've seen plenty of new people join AA or other forums in panic because bird is sick or dying or has died.
It's never easy, never easy. Infections spread fast, and can do serious damage to a bird.
Cancer however is a hard battle with a bird, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Best you can do is make life comfortable. I've lost 5 birds, all from old age related illnesses and disabilities.
And your so right Mary, never give up on a bird.
It's a tough fight, but one your capable of winning. Fight to the very end. When a person gives up, so will the bird.

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Like I did with Rocky. We fought together, the both of us. Me to get him to eat every 4 hours, something with calories, something interesting that he loved. Keeping his boo boo clean dry and not being picked at.
Him to keep his balance, to eat and most of all to fight the very best fight he had.

Exactly what I had to do with poppers. Even if it meant getting up at 3 in morning to feed, give fluids and meds. I made her take it by syringe.
it's a fight worth fighting for.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I know it's one he11 of fight, and it's one he11 of loss too. Rocky had cancer and there wasn't much that could be done, it was too far gone by the time I realized it. But we battled it the best we could knowing that it would overtake him one day. I miss him so much.