• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poor Sebastian, plucking and aggression- help!

Sambeana

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
IMG_9428.JPG IMG_9421.JPG Help guys! Sebastian started plucking his shoulder about two weeks ago, and I brought him to see our trusted bird lady, who has way more experience than I and my gf do, and she said that it looked like Sebastian and Pilaf the yellow-sided in the back, were eating each others feathers. Okay, maybe they've been bathing in their water that has a lot of food in it at times or something. But over the last week, he's gotten really aggressive with me, not my gf, he's been fluffing and hissing and lunging and biting the crap out of me and that's very very very unlike him. He's almost 3 so he should be too old for a bluffing phase, right? Anyway after a particularly rough day today where he attacked me a lot, (and I kept my cool and kept treating him and training him and working with him) but after a little time along I came back and there were so many little black and grey feathers on the floor of his cage and his head had these bald spots, I am so sad, I am fairly sure he did this to himself, and I also think he's done the majority of the shoulder damage himself as I saw him doing it a couple times these past few days. We are going to bring him to a vet asap, but this is such new territory for us, any suggestions right off the bat for us to start with? He's all wet because my gf wanted to make sure she didn't see any mites or any problems with his skin and it looks clear and healthy. I'm so sad for my little man, and so worried!

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Here is an article just posted

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
He couldn't pluck his own head, could he?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Short answer is that yes, he could have plucked his own head... or rubbed the feathers off. However, more likely, another bird did it to him. (aka the green cheek)

I've only come across cockatoos, thus far, that have plucked their own heads... using their feet.

@Sambeana it's always best to rule out medical reasons first before trying behavioral aspects.... i.e. training, foraging, more enrichment, etc.

I hope you are able to get things figured out. Pamela Clark does have some great advice, too!

Sambeana

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Short answer is that yes, he could have plucked his own head... or rubbed the feathers off. However, more likely, another bird did it to him. (aka the green cheek)

I've only come across cockatoos, thus far, that have plucked their own heads... using their feet.

@Sambeana it's always best to rule out medical reasons first before trying behavioral aspects.... i.e. training, foraging, more enrichment, etc.

I hope you are able to get things figured out. Pamela Clark does have some great advice, too!
Thanks everyone. It seems he is grabbing it with his own feet we are seeing him do it right in front of us :( calling the vet as soon as they open.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Shoot! Darn you Sebastian!

It might be his way of saying he's stressed out, bored or otherwise. Would definitely ramp up foraging activities, training, and, if possible, allow flight. Some fresh branches from outside that are bird safe and not from near a city or major roadway could also be an easy enrichment.

Sambeana

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Shoot! Darn you Sebastian!

It might be his way of saying he's stressed out, bored or otherwise. Would definitely ramp up foraging activities, training, and, if possible, allow flight. Some fresh branches from outside that are bird safe and not from near a city or major roadway could also be an easy enrichment.
Thank you so much these are great ideas!!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I've got a cockatiel that came to me plucking herself. I've been trying to ensure that it's *nothing* medically related before adopting her out. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it would be harder to rule out medical issues as it has been... right now, trying her on a turmeric supplement. Can't say it's helping honestly... although it's only been a week.

Nothing like Sebastian. Heck, if you looked at her, you'd never know she was picking her own feathers! You literally have to spread her feathers apart where she's picking in order to even see the rather large area she's cleared of feathers.

Haven't been able to figure out any rhyme or reason to her picking, either... so I get it.