• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poor Norbie...throwing up his meds

JudiNH

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
So, poor Norbie has ear infections and in addition to ear drops, he is on two medicines orally. Problem is, every time I give it to him, he immediately throws it up afterwards. Has anyone ever had a bird do this? Not sure if he is keeping any of it down. Poor thing. I feel so sad for him...

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Yes, Itsy threw up when she was on 2 different meds. I think it happened twice - once on a/b & antifungal and again on a/b & anti-inflammatory. The vet had me stop one of them and keep her on the a/b. You should at least speak with your vet to see what they suggest. Not much good if none of them are staying in. I hope he feels better soon.

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
Thanks...I'll give them a call. He is on an a/b and anti-inflammatory, so maybe that combo is just too much for him. His ear looks awful today though....the hole is nearly shut, its so swollen. Hardly even an opening there at all. The other ear looks pretty good, but the one is really bad. Poor guy.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Yeah, Itsy's ear was swollen closed a couple of times. The antibiotics should help.

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
Okay, so I called the vet back and she said to discontinue the antibiotic, and continue with the anti-inflammatory and ear drops and see how that goes. Hopefully that will be a bit easier on his little tummy. poor guy...

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor baby. I hope the change helps. :hug8:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope he feels better. My tiel threw up on the first antibiotic he was given - the name I'm forgetting at the moment, and the vet had to switch him to a different one.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
:hug8: Hope that helps.

I was going to suggest mixing the meds with critical care formula so there is food in his tummy, and its basically the easiest thing to digest.

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
Thanks everybody. I just gave him his nighttime meds, just the anti-inflammatory this time, and he did NOT throw it up. Yay! Good boy Norbie! Hopefully he will do okay now, and that was the answer. But, hopefully the infection will still clear, even without the oral antibiotic. :s