• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Poor Little Peep

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Things are the same here. Peep looses more and more feathers. Oliver is, to date, unaffected. Peep likes to sleep a lot, especially right under my chin. :heart: He is as sweet as ever. Oliver is still assertive. They still love each other but since Peep is less active, Oliver is getting more friendly with me. 7103A9FB-A09F-4A15-A95A-E67AC56B3AA9.jpeg

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Nice to hear Oliver and Peep still getting along well and that Oliver is warming up to you :) :hug9:

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Sweet Peep :heart:
Is it considered unusable that Oliver has yet to start losing feathers? Big hugs to the 3 of you!! :sadhug2:
Oliver is demonstrating one of the 3 possibilities the vet told me could happen from the beginning. Acute symptoms, like Peep, a symptomatic carrier, or fighting off the virus on his own. I asked the vet if all 3 possibilities still apply to Oliver. She said yes. Apparently the virus is unpredictable. He could have “cured” himself, could be a carrier, or could still become acute at some point.

These two demonstrate the importance of quarantine until all bloodwork is back. The advice to quarantine for 30 to 90 days doesn’t work. Peep was 8 months old before he showed any symptoms at all. Even then his symptoms and were at first so subtle that I wouldn’t have noticed had I not known he was infected so was looking at him very carefully. And I may be overreacting but from what I understand, even having the new bird in another room is risky because that room would be contaminated. It’s just a nasty disease.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Things are the same here. Peep looses more and more feathers. Oliver is, to date, unaffected. Peep likes to sleep a lot, especially right under my chin. :heart: He is as sweet as ever. Oliver is still assertive. They still love each other but since Peep is less active, Oliver is getting more friendly with me. View attachment 322799
I'm so sorry for your sweet babies, but that is such an adorable picture. :swoon:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
And I may be overreacting but from what I understand, even having the new bird in another room is risky because that room would be contaminated. It’s just a nasty disease.
Correct and correct. Such an awful disease, it´s heartbreaking.
Quarantine means separate airspace. Ideally in a different home, maybe a neighbour or friend/family members but that is not obtainable for most people :(

that is such an adorable picture. :swoon:
Yes :) Peep will always be a beauty :loveshower:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Maureen, this must be so heartbreaking for you. Thanks for the update, as well as the information.

What a sweet, beautiful baby. :heart:

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Correct and correct. Such an awful disease, it´s heartbreaking.
Quarantine means separate airspace. Ideally in a different home, maybe a neighbour or friend/family members but that is not obtainable for most people :(

Yes :) Peep will always be a beauty :loveshower:
That’s why I didn’t try to quarantine this time. I now live in a 400 square foot studio. No such thing as separate air space. :(

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Maureen, this must be so heartbreaking for you. Thanks for the update, as well as the information.

What a sweet, beautiful baby. :heart:
Thanks. It really does make me sad. I had thought these would probably be my last birds. But due to my age, not because my apartment and all my possessions are now contaminated. The vet said I could disinfect. Just wash all the walls and ceilings...twice. Wash ever stitch of clothing. I didn’t ask her what to do about my recliner, mattress, bookshelves with contents. No point asking since NO WAY I can wash walls and ceilings. Twice. I have read the Aussies are making promising progress toward a vaccine but no way is will be available in my lifetime.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thanks. It really does make me sad. I had thought these would probably be my last birds. But due to my age, not because my apartment and all my possessions are now contaminated. The vet said I could disinfect. Just wash all the walls and ceilings...twice. Wash ever stitch of clothing. I didn’t ask her what to do about my recliner, mattress, bookshelves with contents. No point asking since NO WAY I can wash walls and ceilings. Twice. I have read the Aussies are making promising progress toward a vaccine but no way is will be available in my lifetime.
Yeah if I were in your shoes I'd be really scared of having it... somewhere... in the house. I would lie awake at night wondering what little spot I might have missed.

I guess these guys are my last birds too. I'm 57.... although the women in both sides of my family tend to live to 100 I'm not going to assume anything. It's a little sad but at the same time nice to know the flock is complete.