• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Pooping Blood

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
Im really stressed right now I think Yoshi is pooping out blood. No one In my family is home and I don’t have a drivers license, He is a maroon bellied conure and around 6 months old. upload_2019-7-22_10-55-49.jpeg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
It sure looks like blood to me. Just try to keep him quiet. And in his cage.

While you wait for your parents, maybe locate an avian vet that’s open near you?

:sadhug2:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh how scary for you.

Do you know where your closest avian vet is or do you need some help locating one closest to you?

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
I took his veggies out of his cage so I can monitor his poop for a couple hours to rule out red foods.

My parents are in Sydney which is 3 hours away from me so they couldn’t drive me. :lol:

I’m going to monitor his poop for today and if he continues to poop red then I will take him to the vet.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope all will be OK with Yoshi and that those red droppings are just due to something she ate. Does he have any toys that are dyed red and what veggies were you feeding? Are you feeding colored pellets?
Do you have any family members or friends who could drive you if necessary?

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
He does have one toy that’s had red wood but that toy has been shunned and he refuses to touch it. (Typical parrot) The last veggies he had were capsicum,sweet potato, carrots, cauliflower and celery so I’m hoping it’s just those foods but they were fed yesterday.

If it’s a big emergency I can call one of my friends that’s not working and get them to drive me.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Perhaps capsicum will make his poop red.
How is he acting? Is he tired? Playful? As usual? Sleeping on one or two legs? Sitting still very fluffed up?

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
Perhaps capsicum will make his poop red.
How is he acting? Is he tired? Playful? As usual? Sleeping on one or two legs? Sitting still very fluffed up?
Atm he is acting normal besides being very mad at me because I shut the cage door and he wants out. (Usually it’s open all day but I kept him in so I could monitor his poops)

I’m really hoping it’s just food.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Carrots...orange
Capsicum...red
Sweet potato...orange
Just keep monitoring and since you are not feeding those now if it's the food the poop should return to normal color.
I hope it's the food, too.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Atm he is acting normal besides being very mad at me because I shut the cage door and he wants out. (Usually it’s open all day but I kept him in so I could monitor his poops)

I’m really hoping it’s just food.
I will not say for sure, so continue doing what you are doing. But I think it's food related.
I have seen blood in poop once but it was thicker and clearer. (lighter)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How much of the raw sweet potato did your bird eat?
I’m wondering if that has anything to do with the issue you’ve noticed today....I’m not sure what the side effects of birds consuming raw sweet potato are but @Mizzely may know?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Well if your capsicum was a "red" pepper. That's what it is. The bright red is a give away. Usually blood in the poop is much darker.

You said he's acting "normal" so it's not an emergency. You also can't make a judgement on any single (or just a few) poop event. It needs to continue for more than 24 hours (after not feeding the same thing).

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How much of the raw sweet potato did your bird eat?
I’m wondering if that has anything to do with the issue you’ve noticed today....I’m not sure what the side effects of birds consuming raw sweet potato are but @Mizzely may know?

Raw sweet potato can cause digestive upset and impede protein absorption. It shouldn't cause any medical issues such as bleeding.

Can you look at the vent and see if looks abnormal at all? Just curious. I would monitor and feed all neutral colored food for now to ensure its not food related.

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
I don’t think he ate much sweet potato he was treating it more like wood, chipping it off and dropping it. I’m very glad you guys don’t think it’s bad. :roflmao:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
When I feed red peppers my conures poop looks just like that. How much did you feed of the red pepper and did he eat or shred it all?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don’t think he ate much sweet potato he was treating it more like wood, chipping it off and dropping it. I’m very glad you guys don’t think it’s bad. :roflmao:

Definitely cook sweet potato next time though. It makes it a beneficial food that way. :) Not cooking it, they might as well eat cardboard IMO. :)

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Always cook sweet potato never raw please