• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent poop sticking to bottom

babybluee

Moving in
hello, i noticed that my budgie has been having lumps of poop stuck to her bottom recently .. they are mostly stuck to her feathers but this morning there was so much poop that her whole vent area was covered, so i caught her and managed to clean the balls of poop off. its been about 8 hours and i can only see 3 individual poops on her cage lining and there's poop stuck to her bottom again .. i understand that clogged vents can be very dangerous for budgies and im planning to bring her to a vet in a week but until then what can i do to help her ? do i have to continue to catch her and clear her vent everyday ? or should i trim her vent feathers myself / wait until the vet visit ?

i noticed she hasnt been drinking much water too, could that be the reason why her poop is so sticky ? and if so, is there any ways to encourage her to drink ? im sorry for asking so many questions but my other budgie just died and im a little paranoid now .. TT

she has also been straining quite alot when she poops and i've even heard her squeaking a little bit when she's trying to push her poop out..

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Last edited:

babybluee

Moving in
Both are indicators of something serious. I think she needs to see an avian vet ASAP.
Offer water in as many ways as you can, including baths. More fruit and veggies will help too.
what fruits should i try giving her ? she hasnt eaten any before .. she does eat her veg though !

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Oranges, pineapple, some sweet budgies are not know to be big fruit eaters to my knowledge.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
The only fruit mine will eat are Royal Gala apples. If your's don't eat fruit do they eat any veg/salad? Lettuce and cucumber have a very high water content.

babybluee

Moving in
The only fruit mine will eat are Royal Gala apples. If your's don't eat fruit do they eat any veg/salad? Lettuce and cucumber have a very high water content.
i will definitely try feeding her cucumbers ! thank you for your suggestions !