• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poop question

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
So right out of the cage at about noon today, here's the difference between Sprite's and Jellybean's poops. Sprite's is the green one spread all over, it shoots out like a rocket under pressure. Jeallybean's is the more compact brown one. They are on exactly the same diet. I have not fed them fruit for several days now, because I wanted to see how that would affect Sprite's poop. It hasn't affected the consistency or color, but his poop stopped being odiferous (yes, it started smelling sharply unpleasant sometimes right when it comes out). It's so much and so loosey-goosey, this can't possibly be normal, even for a linnie??

-NG

Attachments

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gigi has a crazy large poop late morning each day. It is very wet and generally all together in a big juicy wad, easily the size of half dollar. And yes it shoots out with gusto too. The rest of the day her poops look like Jellybean's. I don't feed her fruit and have never noticed any smell. Are you thinking that JB might have a health issue? Is that why you are thinking ACV?

I could take a picture tomorrow. I've cleaned up the big one today.

NorthernGannet

Actually I was thinking Sprite might be the one with the issue, especially since it had started to have an odor. But then it seems to have gone away with no fruit, so... part of me still wonders if he should be going to the vet for a gram stain or something.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
A gram stain definitely can't hurt. My boys have had both of those consistencies and have even hit the wall with it, I think that's common for a linnie. I think mine definitely do more like Sprite after a piece of apple but ordinarily are more like Jellybean's. Is Sprite's always that loose? Do you notice if he drinks more than the others?

NorthernGannet

Oh yeah, his splatter has been disasterous a few times. I have become quite diligent trying to get the basket under him when I know he's going to do one of these. Lol. Sprite's is always this loose when he's inside the cage, and the poop immediately following an exit from the cage (any time of day). Once he's been out of the cage they get much smaller and are put together, although his still have more liquid than the other boys. But nobody else's ever smelled, and his never used to before a couple months ago. However, a couple months ago i started buying Fuji apples rather than Honeycrisp, so I wonder if that could do it. Seems a bit far fetched, but like i said the smell's pretty much gone away with no fruit at all. I did start ACV yesterday just in case, but a very very mild dose because JB won't touch it otherwise.

I'm not sure on the water. When he does drink, he'll take 10-12 sips. The others take fewer. But I'm not sure whether not he drinks less frequently.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Hmmm, well I think it's a question of what is normal for him, but you know your animals, if you think something is off, definitely take him in. How bad was the odor? My linnies' poop gets a light tang when there's a few days worth on the bottom of the cage. I usually clean 2x a week, with three cages I just don't have time for daily. But I wouldn't say it is "malodorous" (I get fancy when describing gross things for some reason. One of my cats used to do what I'd call "Satan's Breath" poor thing had ibd) just a tinge, which I'd think is most likely just bacteria from sitting there. Immediately I would think is coming from the bird. Ugh now I feel like a bad bird mom!

NorthernGannet

Malodorous! A great word, and yes that would suffice here. It was right when he pooped, not the day+ old dried poop smell. Sounds to me like you're a great bird mom :xflove:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I have a question for you @NorthernGannet since you also have a male pair of bonded linnies. I never thought my two mated with each other but I now think they do, I've just not been sure what it looks like! They almost always sit next to each other and sometimes I'll notice that Caspar will have a leg up over Emrys, and sometimes they manage to each get a leg over. Often there's squabbling involved. Is that what I think it is? I definitely am not worried or anything, just curious! Today I asked them if they were going to eat and Caspar yelled at me! Excuse me for asking, Caspar! They certainly act like they think they are going to have chicks.

NorthernGannet

Yes mine do the same thing! Leg up over the back of the other, really squashed together doing whatever it is they are doing. Sometimes they squabble, but not always. Jellybean is smaller than Sprite by a good 12-15 grams, and at first he couldn't make the manuveur with his leg, so he would just jump completely on top of Sprite's back! It seems he's figured it out though...

Caspar yelled at you while you were talking to him?? That is funny!!

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have a question for you @NorthernGannet since you also have a male pair of bonded linnies. I never thought my two mated with each other but I now think they do, I've just not been sure what it looks like! They almost always sit next to each other and sometimes I'll notice that Caspar will have a leg up over Emrys, and sometimes they manage to each get a leg over. Often there's squabbling involved. Is that what I think it is? I definitely am not worried or anything, just curious! Today I asked them if they were going to eat and Caspar yelled at me! Excuse me for asking, Caspar! They certainly act like they think they are going to have chicks.
a3dbe5d24d4b07d9b55fb5ce0b3daba7.jpg

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Yes mine do the same thing! Leg up over the back of the other, really squashed together doing whatever it is they are doing. Sometimes they squabble, but not always. Jellybean is smaller than Sprite by a good 12-15 grams, and at first he couldn't make the manuveur with his leg, so he would just jump completely on top of Sprite's back! It seems he's figured it out though...

Caspar yelled at you while you were talking to him?? That is funny!!
Mine squabbling is them arguing about who is the top hahhaha

Yes, he's kind of a jerk. He's never been very interested in me and was super protective of Emrys at first. I swear I see hate in his eyes!