• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poop eating?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanna

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I've noticed the past few days that Maya likes to eat poop. Her poop or Jasper's poop, wet poop or dry poop... It's disgusting and if I catch her I try to wipe it out of her mouth. She will do this even with a bowl of food in front of her. Both my birds have been vet checked and healthy, but it can't be good for her to eat poop!!! I try to clean as much of it away as I can so she can't even access it, but obviously I can't get every single poop or watch her 24/7.

So how bad is this for her health and how can I discourage it? I'm hoping she'll grow out of it and it's just that she's a baby and curious about trying new "foods".

:confused::confused::confused:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
They can be healthy for quite a while even though they are lacking something. There's a name for what she does but it escapes me right now. The treatment for it is some brewers yeast in their food.

jeanna

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
They can be healthy for quite a while even though they are lacking something. There's a name for what she does but it escapes me right now. The treatment for it is some brewers yeast in their food.
Where can I find brewers yeast? And do I just sprinkle it on pellets or should I mix it into her formula?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
You can get brewers yeast at the health food store. You can sprinkle it on wet foods, fruits, or mix it into mash, formula.. It will go wasted over dry food.
It's called coprophagia.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
It's called Coprophagia when it's poop. It's called Pica when it includes other things.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Just spoke with a woman who has bred macaws 20+ years. She suggested that she would worm a bird that did what Maya is doing.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
show s they are lacking in chloine....sprinkle brwer's yeast about 1/4 teaspoon on their food mix it in....our tiel Mitch used to do this it stopped..health food stores sell it..not expensive and keeps forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.