• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poop color?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Do pomogranites make poop look black? Gussie ate pomogranites for the first time today & now her poop looks like Johari's did when the Vet said she had GI bleeding. Do I need to call the vet or is it just the pomogranites? Gussie is acting fine. Just black poop.

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie
How long after she ate the fruit did it happen?

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Less than half an hour, I think. Maybe it was an hour.

Last edited:

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
Ok, I would watch her for the next hour or two to see if there is a change. If it changes back to normal, then I would not worry. However, if it continues, I would contact the vet.

Trice

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trice
Just to be on the safe side, I'd call the vet .

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Poopies are green again :). But I think I will give a call, just to be safe. She''s my baby!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Are you sure they were black and just not a very dark red??

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
My birds have been eating poms and having black poos. If they don't eat them for a day, things are normal.

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
No, I'm not sure of anything these days :) Okay, so I just picked up the tissue I had checked the poop on origonally. I had smooshed the poop and it had looked kind of muddy. But when I checked it again just now, some definately purple damp areas had appeared at the edge of the poop. And, since her last poop was definately green again, I guess we're okay. She's probably thinking, "Look. I ate those things I refused last year, and you're STILL fussing. Make up your mind!" My baby lovebird was watching Gussie eat this morning, too. I'm only just getting her to try healthy people food. Today is only the second time she's tried anything, and it's the first time she tried more than the teeniest nibble. Today she ate a fair taste of quinoa :)
Good, Johari! And good Gussie for setting a good example for your baby sister! The vet is closed right now for surgury so I'll keep checking. I should know one way or the other by the time they open again in an hour and a half. Judging by how much I fuss about the birds, the kids I never had are probably lucky I never had them. I'd have made them nervous wrecks! :rofl:

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
Thats happened to me before especially when my birds eat raspberries or strawberries or even colored pellet. You just want to make sure it does not stay that color for a long period of time. Since birds poop every 15-20 min. depending on the bird it should be back to normal is a couple hours.

(I am working on my goal of becoming an Avian/Exotics Vet and I wrote a 15 page essay on the Avian Digestive System :)

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
(I am working on my goal of becoming an Avian/Exotics Vet and I wrote a 15 page essay on the Avian Digestive System :)
Cool! Lot of work (I was married to a Vet who taught at a vet school so I know how much work the students did!) but someone has to do it to take care of our babies :) Gussie just took a bath so she's busy preening now. I'll check her again in a bit but I think all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.