• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poop Change After Diet Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

makibird

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vicky
Hi guys! Wow it's been a while. Just a quick question :) I finally got Jake, my hahn's back eating pellets. And what a nightmare! I've had to cut all seed outHe has a mixture of Harrisons Pepper Lifetime Coarse and Hagen Tropican Lifetime Parrot Granules. Since going back to the harrison's his poop has changed to a brownish colour. I seem to recall having the same when he ate them as a baby. It's a good consistency and size and the urates is it's normal white. Being the worry wart I am, I just wanted to check if the poop colour changes are normal with diet changes.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Since going back to the harrison's his poop has changed to a brownish colour. I seem to recall having the same when he ate them as a baby. It's a good consistency and size and the urates is it's normal white.
This is normal when they're eating a good portion of Harrison's . Be sure to also offer the suggested veggies; broccoli, spinach, parsley, sweet potato, winter squash, pumpkin, carrots, papaya, mango, blueberries and blackberries.

makibird

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vicky
He gets a good range of fresh stuff and in a week or two I'll probably start him back on a smidgen of seed. My problem is the rest of my family, they'll feed him seeds and then he refuses to eat pellets. I'm making the most of their holiday to get him used to pellets again.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He gets a good range of fresh stuff and in a week or two I'll probably start him back on a smidgen of seed. My problem is the rest of my family, they'll feed him seeds and then he refuses to eat pellets. I'm making the most of their holiday to get him used to pellets again.
Skip the seeds. If he is eating well now why offer "chocolate cake" ???? It's a step backwards.

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
Yeah seed should only be given as a treat or when training.

UUUMMMM;however, the chocolate cake sounds yummy John.

You will notice a difference in the poop depending on what they eat, that is why I suggest never feeding the fruity colored pellets. When they eat something with color it usually takes 10 to 15 minutes to get through their systems. If they eat colored pellets they are doing multi-colored poops all the time, not to mention the sugar content. It is easier to remember that you gave blackberries or blueberries and with a couple of poops it has disipated.

One of the first signs of illness is a major poop change on colored pellets you may not notice something.

Luck!

makibird

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vicky
The plan was to use seed as a treat. He doesn't like little seed anyway, he just likes to gorge on sunflower and safflower. Pig!

I like to try to keep the colours natural and the pellets organic :) Don't want any of that pets at home pretty bird rainbow crap in his diet. It's more likely to poison him than help him.

Thanks for all your advice guys!

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Mine eat Fruit blend and after their body adjusts to it, Its not hard to tell if their poop is changing because they don't feel well or if its something they ate

I can even tell if the poop change is because they only ate a certain color and not have to look in their dish to find out

Most of my birds have been eating fruit blend for 3 years, they have better feathers than they ever did when I got them , they're healthier, they're bigger (not fat wise either)

makibird

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vicky
Yeah, when Jake's eating unhealthily I know straight away, his feathers don't look half as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.