• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poo Everywhere

lippstikk

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Mandi
I need advice. My significant other is not nearly as fired up about my bird as I am. Green cheeks poo…often, to say the least. I do my best to get mine to a perch or easy to clean areas, but sometimes it happens on the couch or an accent pillow on the couch. This really bothers my significant other even if I wipe it up immediately. He says there is still fecal matter and it’s unsanitary. What do others do? Do you spray each time with vinegar and water, even on your couch? Do you wipe it up and move on? I am not sure how to navigate this. Thank you in advance. Please just positive advice on what to do and if you know if I’m being unsanitary or not.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Your significant other needs to lighten up! ;)
Poo and parrots is like peanut butter and jelly.
Can't have one without the other.
You can place blankets/towels over your furniture while birds are out.
This may help to appease your unhappy other half.
And me, I just grab a wet rag and scrub so no stains set in.
And 'missed' dried up poops scrape off super easy.
Tell him your next bird will be a macaw. That teeny Green Cheek poop will look like nothing at all!
Life with birds is such fun! :laugh:

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I'm bachelor so I don't see an issue -- kidding.

Have many places for them to land that are designated theirs. but you'll still have accidents.
Over time, it may improve (some of mine are very good an going in specific spots they're accustomed to, on their own, not trained -- you shouldn't potty train a bird).
You can also place things on top of definite no-fly zones (monitors for my GCC), and I've mounted my TV to the wall so it's more difficult to land on.
Banning them outright from specific locations (the kitchen, for example), might also lighten the load.
Lastly, getting tuned into their signals can allow us to be aware of when they need to go, or simply don't let them hang out with you on the sofa for more than 10 minutes (or whatever their limit is). My GCC sleeps in my hoodie while I'm playing video games, but she flies out to her perch when she needs to go, and then flies back and burrows in again.

For porous materials, I actually let it dry before vacuuming it up because wiping wet poop tends to grind it deeper into the fibers in my experience.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I made this decision tree a while ago, which may be helpful (or cause significant angst in your significant other)...

I once stupidly tried to catch one of those morning macaw poops… oh what a good start to the day that was :laugh:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
When you let your bird out you can really easily cover things such as your couch and your accent pillows (whatever they are) with a simple bed sheet which is so easy to wash.
As a macaw owner I can’t even imagine being upset about a teeny GC poop- let it dry and flick it off later.
Dog or cat poop (especially inside and on the furniture) would be a definite no go for me but bird poop is stink free and so simple to clean up.