• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pondering getting another birb :)

SkytheGcc

Strolling the yard
Mainly just wondering how yall spend time with them equally. I know all of the quarantine and introducing stuff.

Also do GCCs tend to bully cockatiels? I've heard mixed results

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think cockatiels are too dusty.

All my birds are the same species, so they're all in the same environment. But I don't know that all conures get along. I don't think they do. @Wardy will know about this.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am aware you are not asking about mixing the species but the fact you mention both tiels and conures makes me feel like I should mention or at least add to Sparkles99 comment- are you aware there may be health issues involved keeping dusty and non dusty birds together?

The other health and safety concern regarding the two species you mention being together is beak size differences and differences in general personalities- conures are known to be quite energetic little clowns and tiels are known for being fairly placid and laidback. Tiels tend to often get bullied by even the tiny budgies who are pretty full on like conures.

I do not think you will find too many of our members will recommend to house birds of different species together.

As far as spending equal time with each pet- I do not but they all get what they need and what will keep them busy while I am not there.
Some days my SC2 requires more time than my other two so he gets it, other days my macaw needs or wants a bit more one on one or training time and then another day my budgie may be more receptive to my company than usual so the other two get me for less time and the budgie has me for longer.
Then there are the odd days where I am pretty much stuck outside all day doing pond maintenance so the 3 birds get very little time from me, or the times my dog has had to be rushed to the vet and she gets stuck with me all day and the others barely see me till tea time.

You will find a balance that works for you and your animals if you have a few pets who all have different needs- it is not until one has too many pets for their free time or skill and abilities that finding that balance becomes a problem which ends up being unfair and neglectful.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
But I don't know that all conures get along. I don't think they do.
mine get on 99% of the time however i know @webchirp has conures that dont get along with members of her flock saying that she has a huge flock so there is always going more chance of some not getting along.

how yall spend time with them equally.
We dont spend time with them equally they pretty much do there own thing and come to us if they want to now,however when introducing KiKi we gave Mojo much more attention as she had been with us alone for a few months we spent small periods of time with KiKi.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
But I don't know that all conures get along. I don't think they do.
mine get on 99% of the time however i know @webchirp has conures that dont get along with members of her flock saying that she has a huge flock so there is always going more chance of some not getting along.

how yall spend time with them equally.
We dont spend time with them equally they pretty much do there own thing and come to us if they want to now however when introducing KiKi we gave Mojo much more attention as she had been with us alone for a few months we spent small periods of time with KiKi

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I have a flock . They are mixed species and time and care when I added them. They are all out together eat together, fly to different parts of the house together. And often all are on me st the same time save fur one budgie.

Its pretty close to equal, as I'm petting them all at same time, on me or next to me st same time. All out sane time , share enrichment and foraging and veggies.

Sometimes one will want more attention while the rest are off foraging.

But the all have sperate cages, for sleep and when I can't monitor them.

For me I simply wouldn't have this many(6) if it it didn't work like that . If I had to manage them differently and separately, 2-3 would probably have been my limit . Im pretty maxed out on food prep, Cage cleaning , plus walls and floors daily gross ness. And on $$$$ upkeep, vet care. And noise volume, the budgies are constant vocal, and the quakers can really get going

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
When you have a super large flock, you can’t spend equal time with everyone but for the most part if they want my attention, they will seek me out. Otherwise they play or carry on with whichever friends they have in the flock. So far I try to make certain those that aren’t paired have attention. Some of them are attention hogs aka Tobias. But he is a young one and hasn’t graduated to the less clingy stage. I also have some wild ones who do not want my attention.

SkytheGcc

Strolling the yard
When you have a super large flock, you can’t spend equal time with everyone but for the most part if they want my attention, they will seek me out. Otherwise they play or carry on with whichever friends they have in the flock. So far I try to make certain those that aren’t paired have attention. Some of them are attention hogs aka Tobias. But he is a young one and hasn’t graduated to the less clingy stage. I also have some wild ones who do not want my attention.
out of curiosity, when does the clingy stage tend to end? I wonder if I'm in it and didn't know that they grow out of it.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I have three lovebirds they all come out together bath together forage together when doing trick they seem to weirdly take it in turns one will be on perch doing flips turn around etc other two are normally eating millet out my hand then they swap one on perch other does to my hand or shoulder recall they mostly all come indie normally lands on my head though

pico probably gets most attention as he wants it he’s hand fed indie and mango will do there own thing

if you want another bird do it for you as you may need to have separate out of cage time I am lucky mine get on to a certain degree and can be out together I was prepared to have separate out of cage times though

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
out of curiosity, when does the clingy stage tend to end? I wonder if I'm in it and didn't know that they grow out of it.
They tend to calm a little about the three year mark.