• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poncho Wearing RB2

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
My vet recommends a poncho for my RB2 Newt. He was rescued from a hoarding situation with a bald chest and almost naked wings. The feathers are growing back slowly, but I've noticed he's still doing a little plucking. I can sew the poncho no problem. But I'm concerned about him climbing around and playing while wearing it! Is there something I need to change about his daily activities? He never sits still for very long and always bee lines to be where the action is. I'm worried he'll fall. He is fully flighted. Will he be able to fly with a fleece poncho on? I'm a totally nervous mom about this! 20181101_160510_Burst01.jpg

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I met the little poncho-wearing Hahns near the top right of this facebook page for The Gabriel Foundation. (he's been adopted for about a year now btw)
he seemed to climb around just fine. I didn't see him fly as he was caged, then gone home, but it looked like he could have.
The Gabriel Foundation - Home | Facebook

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
A properly fit sock buddy does not restrict movement in any way. Just protects the chest. Not like a cone around the neck. That is a whole different story.

I would use a thick cotton sock because it stretches. Better fit.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
A properly fit sock buddy does not restrict movement in any way. Just protects the chest. Not like a cone around the neck. That is a whole different story.

I would use a thick cotton sock because it stretches. Better fit.
Hey John, do I cut out a slit for his wings or just for his head? Would you know of a photo of this so I could copy the construction or even order him one to start with?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Hey John, do I cut out a slit for his wings or just for his head? Would you know of a photo of this so I could copy the construction or even order him one to start with?
SweaterInstructions.jpg