• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pommies are in SEASON

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
and very popular with Emma and Sachi.:dance4:

Pommies can also be frozen and stored for later use when not in season.

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
After reading that poms are often a favorite of parrots, I've been giving it to them and boy, do they love it! I'm glad to learn that you can freeze them. How should you do it though? Take it all out, and freeze them, I imagine? I will have to buy up the store and do it. Will they keep for a whole year?

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
After reading that poms are often a favorite of parrots, I've been giving it to them and boy, do they love it! I'm glad to learn that you can freeze them. How should you do it though? Take it all out, and freeze them, I imagine? I will have to buy up the store and do it. Will they keep for a whole year?

I just bought two today also!! I am going to see if they like them? Do you just cut them up and let them pick them apart? I am also curious about freezing.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
I have given it to them in chunks, and they pick it out, and also in their small pieces to color up their variety food bowl, and however it is served, they love it. Be careful that it stains though, and the real juicy ones can drip out!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here you go Monica.

I copied and pasted something I wrote on another forum.

It's a very good idea to keep pommies in the fridge in order to keep them fresh. Only feed the inside and not the membrane. If you wish to freeze the pommies... then scoop the pips out of the membrane and freeze them in thin layers in a zip lock bag. One zip lock bag per pommie and make sure to remove all air before sealing your bag. Place in freezer. Most parrots seem to enjoy pommies so perhaps yours will too. :dancing:
Below are a few pictures to help. Sometimes it's possible to purchase a pommie and then find out that it's rotten when you cut it open. :confused:

Unfortunately you'll have to throw it out. :rant:
1st pic = frozen pomegranate
2nd pic = fresh pomegranate
3rd pic = rotten pomegranate

Attachments

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
Thank you for that Saemma!! I was trying to find something like that.
I guess when you buy them it's "luck fo the draw" as to when you get a good one or a bad one??

I got 2 yesterday and froze the insides of 1. I think I'll get 2 more tomorrow while they are on sale @ Sobeys.
I didn't freeze mine in Ziploc bags, but in a plastic container, think that's ok too?

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hug8:I guess it would be fine but if I were you I'd try the one where you remove the pips and then freeze them in the bages. At least you'll know in advance whether you have a rotten pom:omg: and you won't have to deal with the messiness later on.

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
I have noticed when they have soft spots on the outside that is generally when they are rotten. And the way I freeze mine is I remove everything and spread the seeds out on a cookie sheet and stick them in the freezer overnight then the next day scoop them up and put them in a tupperware container.

Ede-bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
I am going to try them with my flock - these guys range in attitude from " check it out...must be good if she gave it to us" to " OMG!... poison!...toxic! radioactive! bird killing stuff! " :)

Lolle

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Louise
Think i used around an hour trying to get all the things out, then i devided it all into small ziploc bags and put it in the freezer. But my birds dont care of them =/

Abby

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I only give them to my ekkie and lorikeet. They do love them. I'll have to try the freezing thing.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Poms are a real favorite with most of my flock also. I don't bother freezing any leftover chunks myself but down the ole hatch they go. I chew them up, seeds and all. Very healthy they say.

Why throw away any rotten ones (if store bought), just take back on your next trip for refund or exchange.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Thanks, Saemma for posting that. I guess I missed it!
I will try freezing them. They look rather different frozen, don't they? The fresh juicy ones are so incredibly juicy now, and they are coming down in price. I'm not sure when the season ends, but I will buy some up and try the freezing. I know they are very healthy for birds and humans alike. Thanks again for the post!

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
yum, my larger birds love them...I will have to try the freezing!

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
Think i used around an hour trying to get all the things out, then i devided it all into small ziploc bags and put it in the freezer. But my birds dont care of them =/
Try breaking one open so they can taste the flavor that is what I had to do and now Lucy loves them.

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
So the first try of pom didn't go over so well with da birds... they ate AROUND them...:rofl: So what does hubby do... buys 2 more and says "give it time and try it again" :rofl: Who's spoiling the birds now?? :rofl::rofl::rofl:
So I'm about to sit her and peel 2 more poms... again :p

Status
Not open for further replies.