• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

polyomavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
Has anyone ever heard of a natural way to help this? I know there is no known cure...but thought I would try.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Yes...many many years ago a breeder friend had almost 100 lovebird babies with polyoma. I quarentined them all in my garage against my vets advice, and tried home remdies and managed to save 75% of them. After weaned they tested free of the polyoma.

Can you detail more with the type of bird, age, symptoms, etc?

The most important thing is when the babies crop slows down to empty and flush it. If you can get Dent-a-gene from the vet this will help. The additive of it in the water (a couple of drops each feeding) helps to arrest further damage. It is the secondary bacterial infections that will kill the baby before the polyoma does. Are you on the Holistic Bird mailing list? I beleive about 10-12 years ago I had some postings on things I used, and they may be in the archives.

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
he is a 4 yr old grey that drinks more water than imagined.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Please correct me if Im wrong, but I thought polyomavirus only affects youngsters and the babies that were affected are then carriers? And adult birds are not affect byt may be carriers?

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
somewhere around 4 or 5 they become immune to pv. I do not understand all the logistics of it. There is a booster or a vax for it but no known cure.

Status
Not open for further replies.