• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poll - Do I pull Diva's2nd baby for handfeeding?

First Time baby mama. New Chick hatched, looks healthy but crop almost empty 1 hour before dark

• Pull the chick for hand feeding, like his 3 day old brother

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Diva's second chick hatched today.

Just found it in the nest.5pm. Crop looks like it has a tiny amount. probably the last of the egg sac. But night will fall soon

Will mama's instincts kick in and feed it, or will I find a dead chick in the morning?

I pulled chick #1 for handfeeding and its very strong and eating like a horse

What would YOU do?

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Has Diva ever been maternal? It’s always been my experience that they are or they’re not. If they’re not, pull incubate and feed.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Crop looks like it has a tiny amount. probably the last of the egg sac. But night will fall soon
I find the best thing to do in the situations is go to bed and set an alarm to check in in 1-2hours (depending how much yolk sac is left to be absorbed).

How come the brother was pulled? Did they not feed him?

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Ok lets clear up the confusion

1) Diva is a first time mama
2) I have seen MANY chicks die on day 1 as birdie mamas wander about wondering what to do next.
3) End of day 1, when Divas chick was unfed, I pulled it before nightfall. This chick is EXTREMELY RARE. A Green Thighed caique, Parent species. Not the mixed breed lemon thighed available in the US.
4) Its now alive and well in an incubator
5) Yesterday, New chick arrives. Same story, end of day 1, no feeding - hence this poll. Do I take the risk of leaving it with new inexperienced mama?
6) I took the risk, and left chick #2 with mama and papa, unfed, at bed time last night
7) I then disrupted the nest and every birdies sleep, to check on new baby after dark. This was, in itself, enough to endanger the chicks life

However, I was lucky. No dead body. Mamas instincts had kicked in and she began feeding baby last night. It was fed again this morning when I checked

Oh its great fun breeding caiques

Where's the whixkey?

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Has Diva ever been maternal? It’s always been my experience that they are or they’re not. If they’re not, pull incubate and feed.
No, Diva is a first time baby mama

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
3) End of day 1, when Divas chick was unfed, I pulled it before nightfall. This chick is EXTREMELY RARE. A Green Thighed caique, Parent species. Not the mixed breed lemon thighed available in the US.

I'm not disrespecting any species, or any variety of caique (our wonderful Overlords!). But when I bought the VERY RARE Green Thighed species, from a highly reputable aviary, I was made to promise that I would play my part in conserving them. Yes they are in part my pets. But each one is an important part of the parent species survival. The amazon rainforest shrinks every year, and the species is under threat.

My duty is not to faff around. My duty is to save as many babies as I can. There is no danger of them being abandoned or ending up in bird shelters.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Mamas instincts had kicked in and she began feeding baby last night. It was fed again this morning when I checked
Fantastic news! Glad she´s doing ok and the chick is being fed

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are are the two babies doing today? Or rather Monday by the time you read this, lol!

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good to hear! And because you’ve got a hand rearing chick, (chick #1) you’ve got a good way to gauge just how good of a mom Diva will be feeding chick #2. Don’t be afraid to supplement feed #2 if you think it needs it.

I hope this clutch is the first of many for Diva!!

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Are are the two babies doing today? Or rather Monday by the time you read this, lol!
Checked baby#2 this morning. Crop almost full. Mama is doing a good job. Ill be watching every day though. She doesnt mind me having a quick look when she pops out in the morning.
Baby #1 is eating like a horse and will soon be stealing off my plate

(Meanwhile Cha_Cha is sitting on 4 eggs and spits fire if I approach the nest)

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you a traditional breeder or do you breed for yourself only? I'm curious as that's a lot of caiques & you seem to know them all really, really well!

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Im not a true breeder. I wanted to keep some birds, let them behave as naturally as possible (ie have chicks) and not contribute to the bird baby surplus.

So I picked a rare breed. Always in huge demand

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
So I picked a rare breed. Always in huge demand
Are all caiques rare in South Africa, or just one species/subspecies?

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Are all caiques rare in South Africa, or just one species/subspecies?
There's lots of black headed caiques. So common that they're often used as foster parents for the other two species, yellow thighed and green thighed

The latter two are more rare, the green thighed will use up all your earned goodwill VERY quickly

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Checked baby#2 this morning. Crop almost full. Mama is doing a good job. Ill be watching every day though. She doesnt mind me having a quick look when she pops out in the morning.
Baby #1 is eating like a horse and will soon be stealing off my plate

(Meanwhile Cha_Cha is sitting on 4 eggs and spits fire if I approach the nest)
But if I remember, Cha Cha has always been like that. Or am I confusing her with Fingers? :bvryafd:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
But if I remember, Cha Cha has always been like that. Or am I confusing her with Fingers? :bvryafd:
Indeed you are right. Cha_Cha is a total lady. Until you mess with her nest. Then she will cut you a new one, pronto!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
My gcc Loki and her mate Beni are like Cha_Cha. You can look from outside but don't even think about trying to open the nestbox. OR you will need to have multiple recounts of one's fingers after the blood has been cleaned up. :popmnst: :rnfrt: