• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Police Officer saves Baby Ducks

Status
Not open for further replies.

gayla

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gayla
FT. MYERS, Fla. - They were sitting ducks. Literally.
Approximately ten ducklings became stranded in one of the busy middle turn lanes of Colonial Blvd. where it meets US 41 on Wednesday afternoon. They huddled together, separated from their mother duck as she watched helplessly from across the street.
The ducklings faced almost certain death, until Ft. Myers Police Officer Glenn Eppler just happened to drive up.
"This job, you never know what you're going to see," Eppler tells WINK News. "I saw the baby ducks and thought of my daughter. She loves ducks. She's ten and I could hear her in my ear saying, 'get out and save those ducks.'"
So that's what Eppler did. He pulled into the lane to block traffic, turned on his lights, and went to round up the tiny ducklings.
It wasn't as easy as Eppler thought.
"I thought I could just go over and scoop them up. They were huddled together," Eppler said. "But the minute I went for one, they all scattered. It was on after that."
Eppler's dash-cam video was rolling the entire time. It shows Eppler scramble to contain the ducklings, just as an anonymous good samaritan shows up to help. Together, they safely carry or herd the ducklings to the other side of the road and reunite them with their mother duck.
In the rush, Eppler says he didn't get the chance to ask for the good samaritan's name.
"I wish I had," Eppler says. " I'd really like to say thank you very much for helping me out and for helping the ducks out."

Last edited:

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Awww, that is so heartwarming :) I'm so glad that he was there and was able to get them safely reunited with their mom!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
ho w very heartwarming and sweet

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank god he was there to save them. What a wonderful man.

zoomama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Thanks for sharing...I love to hear stories like this.

GypsyWitch

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Lynn
How wonderful. There's a special place in heaven for people like that.:laughing12:

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Gayla - this is a wonderful story. I have driven that exact spot many in Fort Meyrs times and it is very busy. I am so glad these babies were able to be saved!

Abdullah

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Abdullah
GOOD JOB POLICE OFFICER , WILL GOD BLESS YOU
:thankyou:

Status
Not open for further replies.