• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poicephalus Parrot Behavior Question

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Anybody with any breed of poi out there! Slade does this thing where he lifts his wings up and holds them there and gets super fluffy. Sometimes he will stand taller too, but not always. He did this at the foster right before we left and she seemed to think it was good behavior, but I can't tell if it's good or possibly "I'm a big bird don't mess with me!" Anyone see this in their bird and know what it is? If I can manage to get a picture of it I'll add to the thread :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does he also weave side to side a bit? This is "pissed off" Poi behavior. My Senegal, Jake, does what you have described and then he also moves from side to side. I sometimes see this with one or two of my red-bellies but it's not as pronounced as with Jake. You are right that it generally means, "Bug off and leave me be." They may also be indicating that they are scared or upset about something. So that could be: "Get that out of here and away from me or I'm going to attack it."

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Does he also weave side to side a bit? This is "pissed off" Poi behavior. My Senegal, Jake, does what you have described and then he also moves from side to side. I sometimes see this with one or two of my red-bellies but it's not as pronounced as with Jake. You are right that it generally means, "Bug off and leave me be."
He's never weaved side to side, just either stood in the same position or raised his head up. I don't push it either way when he does it, but he didn't start doing it till he got more comfortable oddly enough. I'll have to try to get a video of it and post it on here at some point. He doesn't do it often and so far I haven't noticed any triggers.