• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

~*Poi Roll Call!*~

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
He's a handsome boy!

TwoGreenFids

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jewels
Hi friends!

Don't know if this thread is still active but I wanted to share the newest addition to our flock! Just adopted this cutie, poor fella trashed his feathers from the stress of neglect. He looks like a chick with all his downy fluff, but is actually a 7 year old Senegal. We've only had him for a month but the feathers are slowly starting to grow out without him shredding! He is super affectionate and looooves beak rubs. Other than some occasional scritches, just wants to be near you! Or on you. Preferably on you hahaha

Still working on NOT BITING. Yowza. I have two Indian ringnecks and heard they had bad bites. They don't even come close! Oh right his name is Ringie (he came with the name). Working on teaching him that if he doesn't want cuddles or to step up, all he has to do is stepaway! Biting will not make the hand go away, but moving away will. That's how we trained our other two. Seems to be working, but my index finger may stay permanently swollen

We've recently graduated to a medium-tension bite (as opposed to the "I'll kill you and everything you love!!!!" bite) before stepping up. You know, just in case my finger planned on attacking him this time Can never be too careful

Love!

Attachments

TwoGreenFids

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jewels
Hi friends!

Don't know if this thread is still active but I wanted to share the newest addition to our flock! Just adopted this cutie, poor fella trashed his feathers from the stress of neglect. He looks like a chick with all his downy fluff, but is actually a 7 year old Senegal. We've only had him for a month but the feathers are slowly starting to grow out without him shredding! He is super affectionate and looooves beak rubs. Other than some occasional scritches, just wants to be near you! Or on you. Preferably on you hahaha

Still working on NOT BITING. Yowza. I have two Indian ringnecks and heard they had bad bites. They don't even come close! Oh right his name is Ringie (he came with the name). Working on teaching him that if he doesn't want cuddles or to step up, all he has to do is stepaway! Biting will not make the hand go away, but moving away will. That's how we trained our other two. Seems to be working, but my index finger may stay permanently swollen

We've recently graduated to a medium-tension bite (as opposed to the "I'll kill you and everything you love!!!!" bite) before stepping up. You know, just in case my finger planned on attacking him this time Can never be too careful

Love!
My emojis didn't come through! There was meant to be much more humour to the above message! Hahaha

Mauraun

Moving in
20200714_192212.jpg IMG-20200903-WA0005.jpg
Hello everyone,

This is our Senegal parrot Rikkie. We adopted him last May, becasue his previous owner was terminally ill and could not look after him anymore. As you can see in the first picture, he had all but destroyed most of his feathers (probably due to stress and loneliness). Since he came to live with my wife and me, he has made a remarkable recovery.

He is our first parrot, and we could not have been luckier; He is everything you could have wanted in a bird. He loves to cuddle with me (and occasionally with my wife as well), is not nearly as noisy as I had anticipated and is generally laid back. New objects can be a little scary at first, but he really tries to get over that and to trust us. This relaxed attitude might be because of his age, as his previous owner took him in when he was already an adult and had him for 30 years. So we do not know his exact age, just that he can be considered an old litttle man.

We hope to be able to give him a nice few more years, or however long he has left. With the best food, plenty of toys and love, we are giving him our best.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Waverly is such a cutie!

Karearea

Meeting neighbors
Wow! Such a unique crown. Cant wait to see more of him :)

Mauraun

Moving in
View attachment 363397 View attachment 363398
Hello everyone,

This is our Senegal parrot Rikkie. We adopted him last May, becasue his previous owner was terminally ill and could not look after him anymore. As you can see in the first picture, he had all but destroyed most of his feathers (probably due to stress and loneliness). Since he came to live with my wife and me, he has made a remarkable recovery.

He is our first parrot, and we could not have been luckier; He is everything you could have wanted in a bird. He loves to cuddle with me (and occasionally with my wife as well), is not nearly as noisy as I had anticipated and is generally laid back. New objects can be a little scary at first, but he really tries to get over that and to trust us. This relaxed attitude might be because of his age, as his previous owner took him in when he was already an adult and had him for 30 years. So we do not know his exact age, just that he can be considered an old litttle man.

We hope to be able to give him a nice few more years, or however long he has left. With the best food, plenty of toys and love, we are giving him our best.
20210905_112436.jpg