• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poi on shoulder?

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Hi, I’m experimenting with ways for my Meyers parrot, Jasper, to get more time out of cage with me. Do you all let your Meters hang out on your shoulder? Jasper is a medium sized bird with a sturdy beak, but I’m wondering if I was sitting down or standing in my apartment alone, if shoulder time would be a good idea.

She’s pretty big-beaked and doesn’t like me to steady anything using the hand that she’s on. So it might be nice if I could get her to sit on my shoulder while I read or do dishes or make art. I would be able to use both hands then.

Thank you.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ripley hangs out on my shoulder fairly frequently, and often likes to hang out on the shoulders of guests in my home too :)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I think it depends on the bird. If you're confident the bird won't bite, then go for it. The knee might be a good option, too.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I’m not confident that Jasper won’t bite while on my shoulder. But I’m not sure what else to do with her. She needs to start just ‘hanging out’ as I can’t constantly pet and cuddle her. She doesn’t want to be set down on the bird tree either, and she CAN fly now. (I need to decide what to do about that, too.).

I’m thinking maybe I will reward Jasper with a treat each time she plays with a toy on her own. She has learned to turn around in order to get a treat. Maybe I should start her on a new trick with one of the props I bought for Willow Quaker (that Willow is scared of).

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
She doesn’t want to be set down on the bird tree either, and she CAN fly now. (I need to decide what to do about that, too.).
Meaning?

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I have a small apartment where the kitchen isn’t closed off from living room. Birds are housed in living room. And Jasper came to me because of picking fights with other birds. So she was clipped and I’m wondering if I should repeat that or just be very careful about locking her in her cage when willow is out or cooking is happening.

I’ve just been avoiding the question for a couple of months because it will upset her to be restrained. She has behaved fine but I want her to be safest too.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Does Willow fly?

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Does Willow fly?
No, he doesn’t. He gets more freedom within the building if he is clipped. He can ride around on my shoulder and get some company in common areas and etc., so he is clipped.
Willow might be more motivated to fly into the kitchen to get me or get food. He is very food motivated.
Jasper had a biting issue when she came to me three years ago. But with a lot of attention to her body language, I don’t get bit much now. If she is out the attention must be on her or she gets frustrated .

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
No poi for me, but Isadora is getting more comfortable hanging out on my shoulder and I trust her to do it because I’m not worried about a bite. Her size makes it mildly uncomfortable though, because I end up holding my head at an angle. But I agree with @aooratrix - if you’re comfortable and unconcerned regarding biting, it’s probably fine. If I’m sitting she’s generally on my knee because it’s easier for pets.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Well, I AM concerned about biting. It’s gotten less but still does happen, and that’s a big sharp beak. Yet I want her to be out and happy. She isn’t happy unless she’s on me and I can’t hold her on my hand all the time. It seems like I should start rewarding her for sitting on my knee with treats; and trying to encourage independent play on her tree for longer amounts of time.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Did I answer your question? Jasper was wing clipped and can be aggressive to people and birds. And we are in a small apartment. I don’t want to towel her and upset her but I also don’t want Willow to lose a toe or something or anyone to fly into the soup.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Did I answer your question? Jasper was wing clipped and can be aggressive to people and birds. And we are in a small apartment. I don’t want to towel her and upset her but I also don’t want Willow to lose a toe or something or anyone to fly into the soup.
Yes, you answered it yesterday already.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
What did you think I meant? Wasn’t trying to be mysterious; I just am putting off wing clipping to maintain trust.

ddobs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
David
I wouldn't make a habit of shoulder-sitting. Even when they are reasonably tame and have some understanding that we don't like biting - one quick move can startle them and you could go to the ER with a gash in your ear.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I’m more worried about my eyes. But I have fallen on my face a few times and I don’t want any more face scars either.

I’m trying to get Jasper comfortable with my knee. We had another surprise bite last week and I’m glad it was only on my hand. I’m being very careful and watchful but sometimes something gets dropped or bumped and then, quick chomp!

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's a good idea to start with your knee and then work up to her being on her stand more.

The foster Senegal I had was a shoulder sitter. The first time he walked right up I was not at all sure about him yet so I kept him at my elbow. He just stared at me and told me I was a pretty bird, and he was SO gentle all the time everywhere, so he got shoulder privileges pretty fast. He had the calmest energy and was such a dream!

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I meant to get back to this, so sorry it took so long.
For myself, with birds with BIG beaks, if I don't completely trust them, they are not going on my shoulder. I can understand you don't want them on your arm / hand for extended periods of time, so maybe have a playstand near where you are? You can put toys on it and engage them to play independently and reward them with treats, so you can get on with other things. I find that as long as mine can hear me or see me, and answer their calls, not their screaming, to be clear, all is good.
Frankie does fuss for attention sometimes, so I will start playing with a toy of his, then he will come over to play. Once he's more interested in the toy than me, I can go about my business.
I'm not sure if this scenario will work for your wee one, but it may be worth a try :)