• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poi Mutations

Karearea

Meeting neighbors
I've been collecting pictures of various parrot color mutations for some time now and figured I should post my poicephalus ones - they're my favorite type of parrot afterall! Not sure how many people here also have an interest in them, but feel free to post more if you have any.

Senegals have the most color mutations; blue, pied (believed to be dominant), dilute, and misty.
Senegal_Blue.jpg Senegal_Pied6.jpg Senegal_Dilute2.jpg Senegal_Misty.png

Last edited:

Karearea

Meeting neighbors
Of course, there are plenty of mutations that are difficult to identify (usually because the bird hasn't been test bred to another yet).

Jardine's (likely) have misty and dilute:

1668279727041.png
1668279735063.png

Senegals have this neat yellow mutation as well. It isn't lutino since the flight feathers aren't clear.
1668279947718.png
There are a few others I haven't mentioned because they may potentially be related to a disease or another form of a mutation I've already mentioned. Hopefully you all find them as interesting as I do haha.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Zygodactylous

Meeting neighbors
What is a “misty?”

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Red-bellied parrots have pied:
View attachment 416879
That red-bellied is heavily pied.
Sometimes the pied markings increase as the bird matures/ages.
Ricky is pied and so is his son Scully. Ricky is more heavily pied compared to Scully.
ricky 9-20b.jpg

Karearea

Meeting neighbors
That red-bellied is heavily pied.
Sometimes the pied markings increase as the bird matures/ages.
Ricky is pied and so is his son Scully. Ricky is more heavily pied compared to Scully.
View attachment 416885
Neat! There doesn't seem to be all that many pied red-bellied pics out there. Do you have any clearer shots of them?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Neat! There doesn't seem to be all that many pied red-bellied pics out there. Do you have any clearer shots of them?
I can take some new photos using my "real" camera. That's probably a cell phone photo and my cell phone camera isn't very good.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ricky and Scully appear to be my only two red-bellies that are pied. Don't see any pied markings on mom or the rest of the red-bellied family.

Karearea

Meeting neighbors
Do you believe it's purely from age or do they have a genetic factor involved too?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you believe it's purely from age or do they have a genetic factor involved too?
I think there is a genetic factor involved. Scully's clutch brother Mulder does not have any pied markings.
Seems to me that Scully inherited the genes for pied whereas Mulder did not.