• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poe with new baby Sweet Pea

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Poe is doing great with my new baby lovebird, Sweet Pea. He is very interested and likes to be with her, but isn't obsessed or pushy. He did feed her a bit today:) They are so cute together. He is getting much better with me to which is great! The little sore where he picks is scabbed up, I really think that the aloe misting and also letting him shower in the faucet which he loves is helping. Also, all the work he has to do picking for seeds through the fresh food and of course, having other birds, especially Sweet Pea is great for him. Here are some pictures of them.

Also, I wanted to point out that I did not quarantine Poe or the new baby. Poe has not lived with other birds for many years and the truth is that I just can't do an actual quarantine in this house. I do know the risk involved in that, and I did make an informed decision about this.

Sweet Pea
466007_4663277056631_663133696_o.jpg

Poe sitting on me knee
20121121_132305.jpg

20121212_082316.jpg 20121212_083253-1.jpg

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
looks like they might be friends!!!

Marc

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Marco
It's the demonstration that every lovie has his own behaviour;
Almost all say that the lovies are territorial and aggressive, while your lovie is different than the average of the lovebirds;
Compliments..maybe this result is also due to you;

I forgot to add!! compliments also for your new bird;)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I haven't had many lovebirds, just a few rescues and now these guys. The ones I had all LOVED and readily accepted other birds. I think a lot does depend on the individual, whether they have lived with other birds or not, whether they are socialized to people and other birds, etc. I agree that every bird is an individual:)

It's the demonstration that every lovie has his own behaviour;
Almost all say that the lovies are territorial and aggressive, while your lovie is different than the average of the lovebirds;
Compliments..maybe this result is also due to you;

I forgot to add!! compliments also for your new bird;)

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
They really look like they will be friends! Quite sweet, quite sweet. After seeing these two and Iris join your flock since I have been with AA it is obvious you have a special way with birds.....all look very well adjusted, as if they know they are finally home for good

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Aw thanks, that is sweet. I try:) Really, I allow them to set the pace and respect their comfort levels. Poe is now stepping up onto my arm and sometimes onto a rope perch but if I offer my hand, he subtly warns to back off, which I do so things are progressing nicely:)

They really look like they will be friends! Quite sweet, quite sweet. After seeing these two and Iris join your flock since I have been with AA it is obvious you have a special way with birds.....all look very well adjusted, as if they know they are finally home for good

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw they look like they will be the bestest of friends :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They both look very happy together! The two of them are beautiful!

Matt

Naiera

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
They are absolutely adorable. I am so happy they are with you and that they seem to be getting along. Sounds like a wonderful future for all three of you :hug8:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Alyssa,

Do you house all your lovies together? How did they do when you had two of them or three of them?

They are absolutely adorable. I am so happy they are with you and that they seem to be getting along. Sounds like a wonderful future for all three of you :hug8:

Last edited:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Awe, so cute! Sounds promising too. :)

Naiera

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
Alyssa,

Do you house all your lovies together? How did they do when you had two of them or three of them?

The girls (Mango and Peaches) share a cage. Tiki and Olive have their own cages as they don't get along well enough to live together (Tiki isn't always so nice to the other birds). Their cages are all in the same room and they are allowed out together unsupervised. There is bickering, even among the girls at times, but they are all flighted and do well together with the larger space.

Two was my favorite number. Ideally it would have been only two but Peaches came along unexpectedly. Even more unexpectedly she paired with Mango, but the trio still worked fine since Tiki thinks he's human anyway. It's nice to have an even number though, even if Tiki isn't best friends with Olive. The girls are always off doing their own thing so it's nice for the two boys to have each others company, however distant it may be (they seem to always be hanging out in the same area, so long as they don't get too close).

Olive is the only bird here who seems to be 'typical' though. If they were all like him (I think he was parent raised) I'd bet they would interact much differently. Sometimes it's like a birdy soap opera here, but with a few adjustments all flock sizes worked out okay. I think having the room for them is what really makes it work so they can choose if they want to 'socialize' or be on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.