• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Plz Is it normal?

tiasin

Checking out the neighborhood
My bird Loula came to me around 3 months old, his beak/ upper beak (near nose area) is very smooth back to then.
his beak is getting flaky or thickening (I don’t know how to describe this) not long after I take care of him. I was wondering if I was not taking good care of him enough.:(
The place I live don’t have much avian vet…need more recommendation Ty in advance!!:quakerb:

9BFA4C39-B8F2-4DD2-8C83-3F52B9D1CED8.jpeg 9F7DB0E3-36CF-470B-83F6-8B0B416B6D29.jpeg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Totally normal! The beak is constantly growing, made up of several layers of keratin, and the outer layers flake off as new layers beneath are ready. Providing opportunities for your bird to tend to their beak, such as chewing on woods and rough perches to rub it on, will let them handle most of the care themselves. Unless there is a concern, such as overgrowth, it does not usually require a vet to polish it, though some people do for cosmetic reasons.

tiasin

Checking out the neighborhood
Totally normal! The beak is constantly growing, made up of several layers of keratin, and the outer layers flake off as new layers beneath are ready. Providing opportunities for your bird to tend to their beak, such as chewing on woods and rough perches to rub it on, will let them handle most of the care themselves. Unless there is a concern, such as overgrowth, it does not usually require a vet to polish it, though some people do for cosmetic reasons.
Thank you very much!! Very detailed and clear explanation. That’s a load off my mind :heart: