• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plum Headed Parakeets

Glamourfaust

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I'm looking at getting a pair, 3-5 years old. They have been breeders. Do you think they'd be tame-able? I don't expect them to snuggle against my neck or in my hoodie like a green cheek conure, but it would be nice if they'd sit on my finger without biting me. I am building a space in my house that will house my canary in his cage, our bearded dragon in his terrarium, and I'd like to get a parrot or a pair that could fly out of their cage. Do you think these guys would fit the bill?

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
They can definitely become hand tame with patience. They are food motivated and highly intelligent. You are correct in knowing that they won't be like conures. They don't allopreen so they aren't very physical at all unless mating.

They are very fast fliers, so make sure you have a good system in your home to indicate when they are out. It would be easy for them to fly past a person and out a door for example. You could never keep up with them, they are little jets! That said I love your idea of giving them a lot of space and allowing them to do their bit together. I am sure in time they will come around to you. If you are the treat machine it is likely that they will.

Things my plumhead is afraid of, which may help you in thinking about your layout:
lizard like textures
shoes when I am wearing them.. fine if they are on a shelf.

Things my plumhead is weirdly obsessed with and will destroy
keyboards
computer mouse cables
anything that is green in colour
anything I am holding/eating he must participate with

Clearly my bird will not be your birds, but since you have a pet lizard I thought it worth mentioning. He is so afraid of anything even slightly like their texture. I am not sure if it is an instinctive fear or just him.

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
I'm looking at getting a pair, 3-5 years old. They have been breeders. Do you think they'd be tame-able? I don't expect them to snuggle against my neck or in my hoodie like a green cheek conure, but it would be nice if they'd sit on my finger without biting me. I am building a space in my house that will house my canary in his cage, our bearded dragon in his terrarium, and I'd like to get a parrot or a pair that could fly out of their cage. Do you think these guys would fit the bill?
finally more orange roller canary members! welcome to the avenue!