• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plum Headed Parakeet

Crowley

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi guys i just bought a pair of recently fledged plum headed parakeet chicks.They step up when i place my finger near their perch.But fly away when i try to reward them.They are not hand reared

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! This is not uncommon with new birds, and especially with non-handfed birds. You should try to go very slowly with them, and go at their pace. Even if that means rewarding them by dropping a treat in their bowl while they watch, and moving on from there. They will learn that you mean them no harm and become more comfortable as time goes on.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
My plumhead was hand raised and it still took him some time to feel safe in his new surroundings.

When my plumhead was new, other than originally placing him in the cage, I never reached at him. I just let him do his own thing. I read to him, talked to him warmly and always let him know when I was walking by. I would open his cage and he would go to the top play gym on his own. I just let him do everything at his own pace. One day as I was reading a book to him he decided to come to me. I was sitting on a couch near his cage and I was reading outloud with my back turn to him. He hop/flew from his play stand to my shoulder and just looked at me. It was really hard to not get overly excited, but after sneaking a photo of this moment, I continued reading.

This method of just waiting worked for me. After that day things have only been going up. It did take several weeks before he made this choice. I did my best to just be interesting and non threatening. I also kept offering him treats which I am sure helped immensely!

Crowley

Thank You for replying fast,but please don't give me tips like going slowly as i have had a lot of experience with indian ringnecks and alexandrines .i have also successfully raised day old ringneck chicks but im new to this species

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Thank You for replying fast,but please don't give me tips like going slowly as i have had a lot of experience with indian ringnecks and alexandrines .i have also successfully raised day old ringneck chicks but im new to this species
No matter your personal experience going slow and being patient will help you with establishing trust with your Plumheads.

Perhaps I don't understand your original question, but what kind of advice are you looking for? Could you perhaps ask another way?

Crowley

The original question was that they don't accept treats after stepping up instead fly away.Because of this now they are not stepping up.please tell the reason for this behavior so that i can treat it

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Welcome! This is not uncommon with new birds, and especially with non-handfed birds. You should try to go very slowly with them, and go at their pace. Even if that means rewarding them by dropping a treat in their bowl while they watch, and moving on from there. They will learn that you mean them no harm and become more comfortable as time goes on.
I think what expressmailtome said really makes sense. They are probably not used to eating from a hand even if they may be comfortable stepping up. If I'm not wrong, flying away usually means they want to get away from something or something else has gotten their attention. From what you've said about them no longer stepping up, it sounds like it could be the former.

Have you tried offering food by hand before stepping up?

If they're now avoiding you, I think you should give them their space and be patient until they come to you.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I was not trying to question your knowledge or skill, I was just saying that these birds are not experienced with humans.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
The original question was that they don't accept treats after stepping up instead fly away.Because of this now they are not stepping up.please tell the reason for this behavior so that i can treat it

My best suggestion if you want to try is to move your hand from below the feet up towards the head, never from eyesight of higher toward the bird. Coming from above can be scary/ threatening so this might help.

Another idea is to use the same hand orientation everytime palm up or palm down, etc. Whichever is more comfortable for you. Try and be consistent with your hand position and use the same approach each time. This could help to establish an expectation. Each time you move in the same way the bird receives a reward.. especially with birds who are fearful of hands consistency is important.

I hope this helps.

The next idea is to take a step back from hand training and work with target training, which you can develop to a point to target your bird to your hand.