• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plum-headed parakeet in an apartment?

Folklynx

Moving in
I have considered many species of parrots. Kakarikis, conures, budgies, cockatiels, you name it. But then I found plum heads. I researchhed about them, and fell in love with their personality traits, looks and so on. There is just one problem. They are known to be loud. As of right now, getting a loud bird would not be a problem, I live in a house with my family (dont´t worry, they support the idea of getting a bird), but in a couple of years I will be moving into an apartment to be closer to school. The city my family´s apartment is at has lots of seagulls and jackdaws screaming 24/7, so if my possibly future plum head is a bird my neighbors barely can hear, the noise would probably blend in with the outside birds screaming. But if the bird is so loud the neighbors start to complain, then I would be in some deep sh#t.

Are there any Plumhead owners here who can telll me how loud their plums are?
Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
As usual in these situations, it does vary on the individual bird. Obviously a macaw is not a good bird for apartments, so there are some exceptions where it is just a species trait.

I think this would be worth a read...

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I would say that Plumheads can be pretty chirpy and can have moments of happily vocalising that can get noisy. However they aren't loud all day. They also sleep very well through the night so noise is usually during daylight hours.

The loudest my bird gets is when I have gone to the shops and on my return he hears the car and me walking ..then I can hear him from outside of the house clearly. He gets very excited to see me again. Also sometimes he celebrates being with me and does a loud chirpy routine on my shoulder or head and since it is close to my ears it is noisy..but the cute factor far outweighs anything!

I think the more difficult part of a Plumheads, if it were a small apartment, is flying room. They really need time to fly each and everyday. My bird flies in rapid laps around my house. They are pretty athletic and active birds. After he flies he likes to relax and is very good in his cage. He loves toys, eats everything that I offer an all around impressive bird. If he doesn't get to fly like on a day that I need to work in the city, I normally work from home, he can seem agitated and he holds a grudge the next day. Super intelligent dude.

Plumheads in apt:
  1. Noise can work, but each bird is unique. They are not as loud as conures and I would say sleep in better than cockatiels.
  2. Activity may be a struggle in a small space.

Folklynx

Moving in
Thanks for all the answers!

As for space, the apartment is pretty big. With ample amounts of out-of-the-cage-time and some perches scattered around the apartment the bird could fly to, I think the bird would be fine space-wise. But the potential noise is what concerns me. I have listened to Plums vocalizing on Youtube, and I think they can get a bit too loud. Sure, I would handle the noise, but I don´t know if my neighbors would. The complex has very good sound insulation, I can just barely hear my neighbors talk above normal talking speech, but I´m still a bit concerned about noise.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Thanks for all the answers!

As for space, the apartment is pretty big. With ample amounts of out-of-the-cage-time and some perches scattered around the apartment the bird could fly to, I think the bird would be fine space-wise. But the potential noise is what concerns me. I have listened to Plums vocalizing on Youtube, and I think they can get a bit too loud. Sure, I would handle the noise, but I don´t know if my neighbors would. The complex has very good sound insulation, I can just barely hear my neighbors talk above normal talking speech, but I´m still a bit concerned about noise.
I think when you move, alert the closest neighbours of the bird and give them time to look up the species and see if they would be alright with having a bird next door. If you know who the neighbours are now, maybe try to make friends with them and just bring up the possibility of a bird and see how they feel about the 'bird next door'!

Ali

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you checked with the landlord/lettings agent/building manager about whether pets are allowed in the apartment? Many places have a no pets policy and it will be in your tenancy agreement so you risk being evicted if you ignore it. I've sometimes struggled to find somewhere that will let me keep Leia.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
t
I´m still a bit concerned about noise.
Well all birds will make noise from the smallest finch to the largest macaw. Maybe it isn't the best time for you to get a bird. Maybe in the future it would suit your lifestyle better. I know it isn't the news you want to hear :( A happy bird sings and chatters with their friends there is no humane way to take that right away from them.

Most homes do make some noise, dogs barking, babies crying etc..I think the biggest annoyance is late night racket...and birds are diurnal and typically sleep all night if they aren't around our screens, TVs and lamps. So in my opinion birds are far less noisy then most pets because they sleep when I sleep :)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Have you checked with the landlord/lettings agent/building manager about whether pets are allowed in the apartment? Many places have a no pets policy and it will be in your tenancy agreement so you risk being evicted if you ignore it. I've sometimes struggled to find somewhere that will let me keep Leia.
When I was living in apartments in Michigan, Pennsylvania and New York dogs and cats seemed to be the biggest concern. A lot of times I would tell them about my cockatoo and they didn't even mind and just wrote bird on the lease. This is pretty bonkers considering how loud cockatoos are!! I did always stay in dog friendly building so maybe they were more accepting of additional pets. They were insanely strict on dogs and we had to pay lots of fees. My dog Paige was an Amstaff and we had to find very specific buildings who would allow her. Breed specific legislation is ridiculous.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Frustratingly, I once viewed a place, told the lettings agent that I had a bird, showed him a few cute pictures of Leia, he cleared it with the landlord and I thought everything was fine....then when I was literally on my way to sign the contract, the lettings agent called me to say that the landlord had "done his own research" into parrots and clearly concluded that Leia was some kind of wall-eating monster, and no longer wanted to let the flat to me. I've also dealt with multiple lettings agents who have a blanket "no pets" policy which extended to caged pets, fish and so on.

You can sometimes get around it by offering a larger deposit which the OP may not be in a position to do so.

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
Having been in 3 apartments now with a conure and cockatiels here is my advice:

1. They are not as noisy as you think. I am super sensitive to how loud my birds are and I find myself "shushing" them if they get a little too out of control. Often when I ask my neighbors they say "you have birds?? I had no idea!" when sometimes I honestly thought they were blowing the roof off yelling. My previous landord had her office right next to my bedroom where the birds lived, and she told me when tenants come they think they are outside birds :lol:

2. Birds are often not even considered pets to apartment complexes. Most pet restrictions are for dogs, cats, small animals, and fish (water damage esp if you are on an upper floor). I have never had an apartment tell me no, and often a apartment with a "no pets" policy will allow caged pets - you just have to ask.

3. Most people wont care as long as they are quiet at night. That has never been an issue because everyone here goes to be at 9, and the lights are on timers. The timers run 8:30-8:30 so they dont get too loud too early either. I also make a point of training my birds to be quiet on the weekend to 9am (if I can, it doesnt always work lol) and on the opposite side I let them yell in the evening or when I get home. Actually I encourage it! I find if they understand they get to yell but at specific times they are quieter.

4. placement of the cages matter. think about what is on the other side of the walls you have. Probably not the best idea to place the cage next to a wall where the other resident's bedroom is, but you dont want to necessarily put the cage in front of the window (for safety reasons- theft, scary people and animals, etc).

So this being said be careful what bird and bird species you decide to go with. You should have a good training regimen set up for your bird, and make sure you allow plenty of out of cage time. My birds main cage is in the bedroom so they can have a quiet spot to sleep when needed, but the tree in the living room is where they like to hang out.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Just a FYI, you can also soundproof your walls to some degrees.
I've added storm panes to my windows and thick blankets/rugs hung where the birds are.
Thick carpeting also absorbs sound.

Apartments can work if you're considerate of your neighbors, and you have decent neighbors.
I also talk with any and all neighbors I have when I move in. I ask them to let me know if the bird noise intrudes too much.
Neighbors are much more tolerant if they know you have their interests at heart.
I've even done this in my house when my neighbors weren't even that close.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
When I was living in Pennsylvania I was in an 1880s old brick apartment building. We lived there for 3 years. When new neighbors moved in, they thought we had a human baby. We do not have children. When I told them we had a parrot they were excited to meet her. Again my cockatoo, and cockatoos love screaming and do so when they are happy, sad, mad, want attention or are playing!

Transparency and kindness will take you far. Though as rightly pointed out you will never have a guarantee. You may have problems, you may need to move but it isn't impossible. I lived with my cockatoo in apartments for 8 years. She now lives at my partner's mother's house, a story for another day. The biggest issue with living in an apartment is related to maintenance, pest spraying or random construction projects that you won't have control over. So you need to know where you can take your bird when it isn't safe such as with these activities.

I rent the house I live in now and I am permanently in Australia. I am lucky that my landlady absolutely adores my birds. There is full transparency which leads to trust. When she wanted to do a spray for ants, I asked if we could find another method because I don't like pesticides around my chickens nor other birds, nor the wild geckos and other life. She respected my thoughts and hired an inspector who searched and tapped for ants to decide if a spray was really needed. He found it was all good, nothing to worry about. So we didn't need to spray! :)

Hopefully these personal stories help you decide what you can do. You need to be willing to move if there is no other option, or pay extra fees, or possibly talk to your neighbors. Not something I am very good at!

Crowley

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi guys i just bought a pair of recently fledged plum headed parakeets.They step up when i put my finger next to their perch.But fly away when i try to reward them.I have tried seeds and fruit.Please Help

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Hi guys i just bought a pair of recently fledged plum headed parakeets.They step up when i put my finger next to their perch.But fly away when i try to reward them.I have tried seeds and fruit.Please Help
Please open a new thread in the correct forum. That gets you more help.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I have considered many species of parrots. Kakarikis, conures, budgies, cockatiels, you name it. But then I found plum heads. I researchhed about them, and fell in love with their personality traits, looks and so on. There is just one problem. They are known to be loud. As of right now, getting a loud bird would not be a problem, I live in a house with my family (dont´t worry, they support the idea of getting a bird), but in a couple of years I will be moving into an apartment to be closer to school. The city my family´s apartment is at has lots of seagulls and jackdaws screaming 24/7, so if my possibly future plum head is a bird my neighbors barely can hear, the noise would probably blend in with the outside birds screaming. But if the bird is so loud the neighbors start to complain, then I would be in some deep sh#t.

Are there any Plumhead owners here who can telll me how loud their plums are?
Thanks in advance!
Have you considered a Pionus?

I had Greys, Senegals and an Amazone in the past, but never had i a parrot so sweet and calm as my Pionus. They are often refered to as “perfect aartment parrots” for a reason :) They are, in general, les noisy then other parrots. And can be left alone for a day perfectly. But above all that.. their beauty is beyond compare! They may seem “drap” and “blend” on pictures.. but when the sun shines on a Pionus‘s feathers.. OMG there simpy is no bird prettier to the eyes then a Pionus.

• Love

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Have you considered a Pionus?

I had Greys, Senegals and an Amazone in the past, but never had i a parrot so sweet and calm as my Pionus. They are often refered to as “perfect aartment parrots” for a reason :) They are, in general, les noisy then other parrots. And can be left alone for a day perfectly. But above all that.. their beauty is beyond compare! They may seem “drap” and “blend” on pictures.. but when the sun shines on a Pionus‘s feathers.. OMG there simpy is no bird prettier to the eyes then a Pionus.
Are you a pionus sales person?

You changed your username! Now I have to remember that...

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I am indeed a bit partial, i grant you that ;-)

i changed my username to match my other sites names.. on reddit i started a subreddit “Pionus” so now people can reckognize me there.. from here.. :rofl: