• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plucking!!

Klf91

Moving in
Real Name
Kirsty
Hi my male Indian ringneck has started plucking AGAIN! He plucked himself to raw skin last year we tried everything nothing worked untill we moved him to a difrent corner of the room and a new cage, his feathers have only just grown back to there full form and now he’s plucking again on his front, can anyone give me any tips on how to stop him? I really don’t want him to go back to how he was last year. Iv attached pictures the first one was just before he plucked out all his tail feathers an the second is him once they grew back.

Attachments

Klf91

Moving in
Real Name
Kirsty
Ye everything is fine with his health.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Hi my male Indian ringneck has started plucking AGAIN! He plucked himself to raw skin last year we tried everything nothing worked untill we moved him to a difrent corner of the room and a new cage, his feathers have only just grown back to there full form and now he’s plucking again on his front, can anyone give me any tips on how to stop him? I really don’t want him to go back to how he was last year. Iv attached pictures the first one was just before he plucked out all his tail feathers an the second is him once they grew back.
WOW-- You sure did SOMETHING right the first time he allowed them to grow back! What changes occured now? And the fact that he's plucking in a different area. Did you consider bathing/ diet/ environmental changes... that have occured?

Klf91

Moving in
Real Name
Kirsty
Nothings really changed that I’m aware of, but Iv noticed hes screeching a lot more than usual, but everything in his environment and food has stayed the same

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Hormonal plucking??

Klf91

Moving in
Real Name
Kirsty
Ye maybe I never thought of that, is there a way to get him out of it?

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
A place called Windycityparrot.com has had success with "resetting" the hormonal bird using light therapy. Check out their website for details...I've never tried it, so can't speak from experience. You don't want him to get "nesty/broody"...remove enclosed places that he can hide (boxes, huts, etc.). Mist him, or give him access to a bath, daily. How old is he? What kind of food is he on?