• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plucking or molting?

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
Hello All,

I am nearly 100% positive that neither of my birds pluck but I wanted to check my understanding of plucking. Today I noticed my GCC had a tail feather that was sort of upside down...the underneath of the feather was facing up. Shortly after noticing, I saw my GCC seem to pull it out. I imagine that this feather was on the way out by how it looked upside down. Based on that, this example is not true feather plucking just because I witnessed him remove it the rest of the way, is it? I'm thinking feather plucking is more when a bird removes a feather that is not ready to be molted yet. Attached you will find a picture of the feather I saw him remove. Is there something to look for on a feather to tell if it was molted vs. plucked?
tempImageTfYRLb.png

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
That looks like a normally molted feather to me. I've seen my gcc's do that same exact thing...and they're not pluckers (thank goodness!!).

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Agreed it’s kind of like having a really loose tooth

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
Hello All,

I am nearly 100% positive that neither of my birds pluck but I wanted to check my understanding of plucking. Today I noticed my GCC had a tail feather that was sort of upside down...the underneath of the feather was facing up. Shortly after noticing, I saw my GCC seem to pull it out. I imagine that this feather was on the way out by how it looked upside down. Based on that, this example is not true feather plucking just because I witnessed him remove it the rest of the way, is it? I'm thinking feather plucking is more when a bird removes a feather that is not ready to be molted yet. Attached you will find a picture of the feather I saw him remove. Is there something to look for on a feather to tell if it was molted vs. plucked?
View attachment 384059
it looks molted!! i thought you can tell if there’s remaining blood in the shaft? at least that’s how i was taught :) THATS A BEAUTIFUL FEATHER BTW

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
it looks molted!! i thought you can tell if there’s remaining blood in the shaft? at least that’s how i was taught :) THATS A BEAUTIFUL FEATHER BTW
Thank you! I have saved all his molted tail feathers, I love them! I'm hoping to someday find a way to make something with them that I can display in my office at work so I can feel like he's with me.

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
Thank you! I have saved all his molted tail feathers, I love them! I'm hoping to someday find a way to make something with them that I can display in my office at work so I can feel like he's with me.
you just gave me an idea HAHAH maybe in like a picture frame or smthing