• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plucking or molting?

JennifromBW

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jennifer
We inherited an Amazon Parrot after my mother in laws passing, she also had 2 cockatiels in a separate cage gave those to my neighbor they are great. This bird doesn't like me only likes my husband but he travels alot and when he's gone he plucks. This past weekend he plucked his breast is pretty bare now. The vet said he's molting last month but in the past he had a problem with plucking. How do I know the difference? I ordered a light because I think he's cold now should I order a cone. I kept this bird because she would have wanted us to, but we have 2 big long trips coming up and I have person setup to check on him every other day, but I'm worried. Never owned a bird we are dog people and they go to my sister.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Can you please take a picture or 2?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome. A picture would be helpful but it does sound like plucking. Some things to keep in mind. Birds mourn the loss of people. If your mother in law passed away recently, he's probably in mourning. Also, he may be missing the loss of his cockatiel friends. Birds do miss each other. And a new home is also stressful for a bird. Plus missing your husband. So all of these could be contributing to plucking. Why do you think he's cold? Because he's plucking? Where is he kept and how warm is it? I don't think he'll be cold just because he plucked. What kind of light did you order? And as for molting/plucking- with molting, feathers don't all fall out in one spot. Do you spend time with him when your husband is gone? And every other day really isn't enough. I would have someone check on the bird every day when you're away at least. That may even be too stressful for him. I actually have my sitter come 2-3 times a day when we go away.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
I am concerned about the every two days too. Even a well adjusted bird I wouldn't leave alone for two days. There are just too many ways they can get into trouble and nobody to discover it until it's too late. I would really try to find a sitter..........maybe even your neighbors that you gave the tiels too could watch for that period. Maybe you could work out a reciprocation with watching each others birds when away. I know it's hard.........I too hate having to solve the "bird sitter" dilemma.........I use my breeder, but that is not your situation, I know. It's very nice of you to keep the bird because you knew that was what your mother in law would have wanted. Good luck with all of this.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I kept this bird because she would have wanted us to, but we have 2 big long trips coming up and I have person setup to check on him every other day, but I'm worried.
First this bird shouldn't be alone at all, this is a bird that needs someone 24/7. And that he is trying to tell you with his plucking behavior.
This bird doesn't like me only likes my husband but he travels alot and when he's gone he plucks.
I suggest that you get him a friend (not in the same cage) or rehome him to someone that can give him what he needs.
A long as he is bonded to your husband that travels a lot, he will be a very sad parrot.
Yes it was nice that you took care of him, but for me it is more important to give them the right home. Their needs should always comes first.

JennifromBW

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jennifer
Thanks everyone, we did just purchase a light this was yesterday and his feathers are growing back, I did ask my neighbor to check on him daily. He is a happy bird when my husband's home and we don't think that would happen if rehomed him. My mother in law has been gone since March he just recently started losing feathers.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It looks to me like he's plucking. It's always good to rule out a medical reason for plucking but I'm guessing it's most likely behavioral. Does he have lots of toys and things to keep him busy? Does he get out of the cage time?