• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plucking Kakariki!

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
Hi all! It's been a while since I've been on here! How are you all doing?

I've been alright myself, it's molting season so I've got some angry birdies on my hands... except for one. Miss Red the Kakariki.

About a week ago I noticed a LOT of feathers on the floor around the budgies cage where Red hangs out; I figured, "Oh, they're just molting and it's all their feathers on the ground!" I didn't think much of it until I noticed that red had a lot of puffy down feathers sticking out. I tried searching for possible causes on Google and found nothing except that she may be plucking, so I waited for her to preen and have a bath.

She had her bath but her feathers didn't go back to normal; I ruled out that her feathers were just messy. I waited for her to preen and she did, and after a moment I heard chewing, and pop! Out comes a feather in her beak. I, being me, panicked! We booked her in to go to the avian vet, and she was seen two days later.

The vet asked me questions, as they do, like "What's her sleep like?"

I told him that I put her to bed at 8pm and get her up at 8am, but she wakes up at around 5am because I do, and the moment I make the tiniest noise she's up and won't go back to sleep. He suggested moving her to another room to sleep, one that's darker and doesn't have a lot of activity, so I did! She seems to be doing better, but she's still plucking. The vet also did a fecal exam and said he would get in contact if he found anything out of the ordinary, but he has yet to call/email, so I assume everything is all good there!

Recently I started switching Red to a pellet based diet, I started this change when I realised she was plucking, as I know plucking can be caused by a bad diet.

I have also given her a Lorikeet Bar (it's a birdie bar that has fruit in it! Yummy) for her to snack on, and she has toys to chew and play with.

The vet bill was SUPPOSED to be $86 AUD ($58 USD I believe) but instead, it was $168 AUD ($113 USD) due to the fecal exam. My family is really struggling with money at the moment. The vet told me that if she doesn't stop plucking after I've moved her into the other room to sleep, he wants to see her to do some blood tests, but he told me it will be about $400... ($271 USD) and we just cannot afford that.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with pluckers? He told me that even a happy and healthy bird can pluck, and I understand that... It's just, no one wants to see their birdie with no pants!

She hasn't plucked her wings, only her front and mostly at her back near her tail. Here are some (not so great) pictures! + Poor Red in the crate :( RedPluck1.jpg RedPluck2.jpg RedPluck3.jpg RedPluck4.jpg

Thank you for any advice!

Thanks AA!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So first of all, I think you'll get more replies by me moving this to Healthy Highway. As distressing as plucking may be, it is not really an emergency, and you'll get more responses from people in a more open area of the forum, as responses here are limited to Veterans and approved members.

As for the vet costs:

Fundraisers/Donations: No fundraiser or donation requests will be permitted on the board without prior approval. Most requests WILL BE DECLINED.

Please DO NOT mention fundraiser activity on the board AT ALL without prior consent. This means if you have a fundraiser going off-site, you may NOT mention it on Avian Avenue.

Fundraisers will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and will likely not be approved. If a fundraiser is approved, members should still realize that this approval is a matter of consensus based on the available information, thus non-definitive, and they should therefore still exercise their own good judgement. Approval will be based on several factors and will be subject to VERIFICATION.
Any member desiring to announce a fundraiser of any kind on the board must first notify a Mod, SMod or Admin.

The member submitting the request is required to provide the following information:
- reason for fundraiser
- vet name, address and phone number and/or rescue group contact information (must be a licensed rescue or non-profit organization)
- contact info for all parties involved
- Is the person receiving donations aware of fundraising activities and in agreement with it?

If the request is approved you will then be instructed to post it on the board and the thread will then be closed. All conversation is to be conducted strictly off the board. When the fundraiser is complete please notify a Moderator, Super Moderator or Administrator if you would like us to add a notice onto the closed thread directing members to check the off board info site for an update. No mention of money amounts will be allowed on the thread.

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
So first of all, I think you'll get more replies by me moving this to Healthy Highway. As distressing as plucking may be, it is not really an emergency, and you'll get more responses from people in a more open area of the forum, as responses here are limited to Veterans and approved members.

As for the vet costs:

Oh, pardon me! Thanks for moving my post, I'll remove the mentions too! :p Sorry about that, I didn't know!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh, pardon me! Thanks for moving my post, I'll remove the mentions too! :p Sorry about that, I didn't know!
No worries, and thank you! :)

Plucking is one of those crazy things that can be medical, hormonal, mental, or... Just is. How old is she? Some hens will pluck their chest feathers to line the nest with for chicks... Obviously in our home they don't have the nest usually but it is an instinctual behavior that is hard for them to ignore!

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
No worries, and thank you! :)

Plucking is one of those crazy things that can be medical, hormonal, mental, or... Just is. How old is she? Some hens will pluck their chest feathers to line the nest with for chicks... Obviously in our home they don't have the nest usually but it is an instinctual behavior that is hard for them to ignore!
I got her last year in November, and the person I got her from then said she was six months, so if they were right she would be a year and a half right now!

I did mention this to the vet also, but I noticed a few weeks ago some mating behaviors; I read online that Kakariki mating behavior is somewhat like a Kak crouching down with their tail bend downward, like a wide upside down V shape with some quiet beeping. She did that a couple times, and hasn't done it since, but when she plucks I've never noticed her 'storing' the feathers, she just takes them out, chews for a second, and then drops them! I would really love to get her another Kakariki friend, but I can't find one near me, I was really lucky to find Red! She did have a friend with her, but together they would have been $160... I really wish I had gotten her friend sometimes!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Right, in our homes the behavior doesn't have the same ending... There is no eggs, there is no nest, there is no where to store it, just a "need" she doesn't understand. So I'm inclined to believe that it's hormonal based on where she's plucking. I could be wrong, and others will be by when the US wakes up more (it's only 2am here lol) but that's my hunch. :)

Last edited:

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Those lorikeet sticks probably aren’t the best - they’re mainly just sugar and seeds. Does she eat fresh food at all? Unfortunately vets are very pricey but you can ask if they’ll accept a payment plan - many will!

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
Those lorikeet sticks probably aren’t the best - they’re mainly just sugar and seeds. Does she eat fresh food at all? Unfortunately vets are very pricey but you can ask if they’ll accept a payment plan - many will!
Yep, I always give her fresh fruits and veg, it's just a lorikeet bar is what I had on hand at the moment! The one I have doesn't have any seeds in it, but I'll see if I can find the package and I'll check the ingredients- I'm sure they wouldn't leave out if they added sugar! If worse comes to worst and she needs a blood test, I'll definitely ask about a plan!

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
Right, in our homes the behavior doesn't have the same ending... There is no eggs, there is no nest, there is no where to store it, just a "need" she doesn't understand. So I'm inclined to believe that it's hormonal based on where she's plucking. I could be wrong, and others will be by when the US wakes up more (it's only 2am here lol) but that's my hunch. :)
I appreciate your help! I'll have to see if it really is the breeding season right now, and if it is I'll feel much more at ease in believing it's just hormonal!

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Yep, I always give her fresh fruits and veg, it's just a lorikeet bar is what I had on hand at the moment! The one I have doesn't have any seeds in it, but I'll see if I can find the package and I'll check the ingredients- I'm sure they wouldn't leave out if they added sugar! If worse comes to worst and she needs a blood test, I'll definitely ask about a plan!
I was just going by the pictures. If it’s the ones from Woolworths or Coles, they aren’t great either. Dried fruit is very laden with sugar and doesn’t offer much nutritionally, which of course means birds love it lol

Hopefully it’s just hormonal. If the plucking is near the cloaca, it could very well be that. It’s common for hens to pluck there when they’re getting ready to lay.

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
I was just going by the pictures. If it’s the ones from Woolworths or Coles, they aren’t great either. Dried fruit is very laden with sugar and doesn’t offer much nutritionally, which of course means birds love it lol

Hopefully it’s just hormonal. If the plucking is near the cloaca, it could very well be that. It’s common for hens to pluck there when they’re getting ready to lay.
Ahh, in the picture it's just a budgie seed bar to keep her busy out of the cage along with her other toys! Usually she munches the lorikeet bars clean, but this one tastes a bit weird, I don't blame her for not eating it! (Yeah, I tried it! :p)

Most of the plucking is around her back, but there is a little around her legs and the base of her tail! Hopefully just a bit hormonal! :) Thanks for the input!

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
A small update: Right now I'm watching Red do her mating thing (crouching, squeaking/beeping softly, wings spread slightly), at least I think that's a mating thing! I haven't seen her do it for a few weeks now, but there she goes! I wonder if not having a mate is stressing her or if it's her hormones?