• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Plucking Kak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robo Hip

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Debbie
Hi there, I am really worried about 1 of my kakarikis' Bass He is completely tame and speaks etc etc. I have him in a cage with another kak (female) but have the divider in. The thought process behind this was - he is completely tame but she (Shandy) isn't so it would allow us to spend time with her seperately. However recent weeks/months a whole heap of rubbish has landed on our doorstep so I haven't had the time I wanted to have with her.

Anyhoo - that is diverting. Last weekend when I cleaned out their cage - I removed the lower grate and whilst I was scrubbing it I got a call from hubby who had forgotten something when he had gone fishing, so I took that to him and when I got back Shandy had got in to Bass's section of the cage. Once I had everything cleaned and got them out for a fly they were both back in their own sections.

However, this week, I have noticed bald patches on Bass's chest as if he is plucking. Everytime I have googled Kakariki's plucking I see the same old advise - they are the least of the species to pluck and therefore it must be mites - Shandy is right next to him and she is showing no signs of irritation.

So is Bass stressed or is it mites?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Vet check should be done. And observation of Kak. He may be stressed. Which a complete and seperate cage may be in order.

Also what does his diet look like? Do you provide a variety of toys?

Robo Hip

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Debbie
His cage is full of toys - diet - he has Zupreem fruit blend daily plus fresh salad consisting of romaine lettuce, cucumber, radish,red pepper, celery stalks,

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Have they both been DNA'd so you know for sure what gender they are? Hens are known to pluck their chests to line a nest with fluffies. Is it possible s/he wants to be friends with your other bird? Or as Mercedez said s/he's stressed from the territory invasion.

Ginger

Robo Hip

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Debbie
They are def sexed male and female. They went into the cage (with divider) together and have been in the cage (with divider) since 1st March, it has only been this last week Bass has been plucking

LemonGrass

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you think Shandy is plucking Bass?? :confused: I guess the cage divider will tell in time. He might just be missing all the human interactions, having a cage full of toys doesn't compensate for love and affection from a human - or so zanie reminds me everyday ;) Plz keep us updated. Scatt/ivernmectin is readily available on the net if it is mites. Have you contacted spicky? she would know more. I'm told that not all species are as susceptible to mites as budgies are. Keep us updated :hug8:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Have they both been DNA'd so you know for sure what gender they are? Hens are known to pluck their chests to line a nest with fluffies. Is it possible s/he wants to be friends with your other bird? Or as Mercedez said s/he's stressed from the territory invasion.

Ginger
I do believe that it is possible to visually sex kakariki's so long as you know what you are looking for.

Kakarikis

And I've found it surprisingly easy to gain a birds trust, even if they are in a flock situation.

Regardless, I agree, a vet visit may be in order.

Robo Hip

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Debbie
Pleased to update - vet check all went well. I increased the protein in his diet and he now has chest fluff coming through - he is still bright and interactive - over reaction on a bad moult on my half I think :o:

Attachments

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Glad the visit went well! Hope he feathers out!

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
Glad to hear he is doing better! Over reactions are good when it comes to parrot care, it is also better to be safe then sorry...Hope to see more of you and your Kakarikis around the board, don't know much about them but would love to know more. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.