• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plucking is still bad, what can I do?

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
No way will I be able to get a collar on him.
I really don't think you should try either.

" As for the Vests/Flight Suites & Collars I can’t imagine putting one on, any that we have seen, we notice the parrot trying to get them off. One would think the stress of having this on, will only cause more damage to the parrot."

This is an insert from this article:
It's an interesting read if nothing else.

@Fuzzy made a thread on CBD oil recently
but Roz uses it for an entirely different matter.

I don't think I would use either of these two things before having a really in-depth discussion with my vet.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I know what's causing the plucking its my changes in jobs and work schedule. I woke up this morning to drops of blood on the bottom of the cage. His left wing molted and he will not leave the pin feathers alone. He is getting worse, and I don't know what to do. New toys scare him. I took apart the big one and just gave him a thin piece of wood and he attacks it.

I"m at a loss on what to do.

Just accept him the way he is? I see videos on FB of CAG's swing on toys, gouging out foraging veggies and toys and I just wonder if he is happy. Obviously not if he is plucking.

He is 21, has been cage bound a lot, he is hand fed warm veggies, afraid of anything new and toys.

I socialize with him, he is out of his cage when I am home, he is clean and fed a healthy diet. We were doing so well and then the virus hit and disrupted everything.

I'm at a total loss.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
He was growing back his feathers and was doing great. Then I was laid off cause of Covid and I was home all of the time. Then I went back to work, we got to spend a lot of morning time together. Then I changed jobs and I was up at 4:30 am it was dark and when I got home at 2pm I was so tired I was taking a nap. We didn't get the time we used to have to share together. Someone posted that morning "flock" time is important. I left that job after 3 weeks and now I'm working 2nd shift. He started to pluck more when I was getting up in the dark. Poor guy got so confused when I went to work at second shift, when I got up at night to use the ladies room he thought it was time to get up. I didn't know he would be that sensitive.

I hate the fact that I had to change jobs. I couldn't help it. Today he got a good shower and he is perky and still eating well. He has stopped chewing up his paper at the bottom of his cage. I have seen improvement with new job. We shall see.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I don't have much experience with plucking, but I just want to say good luck with him! Hope it all works out!
I don't either but I do know he is very sensitive and I did see great improvement when I first adopted him. I have hope.

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
Have you tried Aloe, both as a liquid spray and solid food?

I recently learned a lot about it, and plucking can be the result of simple skin irritation resulting in itching which becomes plucking.

It’s 100% safe, so it’s worth a shot.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Have you tried Aloe, both as a liquid spray and solid food?

I recently learned a lot about it, and plucking can be the result of simple skin irritation resulting in itching which becomes plucking.

It’s 100% safe, so it’s worth a shot.
I uave aloe plants, how can I get it in the water and how much?

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
I uave aloe plants, how can I get it in the water and how much?
For spraying, you have to buy liquid aloe. Just dilute it in a little water if it doesn’t easily spray through your bottle, and make sure it’s 100% pure aloe liquid.

For eating, just use a potato peeler to remove most of the skin...removing all isn’t necessary...and chop into pieces.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Pardon the spelling I was on my phone. They can eat it? Finding liquid aloe is impossible since Covid. Wonder if google is my friend?

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
Pardon the spelling I was on my phone. They can eat it? Finding liquid aloe is impossible since Covid. Wonder if google is my friend?
Sure they can eat it!

And liquid aloe can be found in those fancy shmancy markets as well as, I’m pretty sure, health food stores.

For fresh aloe, I just use a potato peeler to ALMOST take all the peel off, and remove those sharp edge spikes.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I am not a fan of aloe - especially on the feathers. Aloe is sticky and will do nothing other tan encourage your bird to preen more. Never use anything other than water on your bird's feathers.

Birds (and people) can eat aloe, but it does nothing for you and nothing against you and the bird.

@Snowghost Have you ever had the tests that I recommended (by your vet) performed on your CAG? Until you do rule out physical causes you are shooting in the dark.

@Clueless It appears yhat they are a marketing organization from this statement;

"Legal
Parrot Website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Parrot Website also participates in affiliate programs with other sites. Parrot Website is compensated for referring traffic and business to these companies."

tjc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tammy
Have you considered a soft collar for him? Some people don’t agree with them, but it saved my birds life when he was mutilating under his wing. There are several places that sell them in different shapes and material. Google bird collars. YouTube has videos of collars made out of socks. Those are more for chest pluckers. If you can’t afford the lab work and the vet visit right now, I would consider a collar. He really needs the blood work done to rule out any kind of metabolic reasons for the plucking. You can remove it for preening and bathing. Sending big hugs because plucking is an emotional roller coaster for owner and bird. :bighug::hug8:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Thanks @Hankmacaw

I went to an article and it only listed a first name. Huge red flag in my book.

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
I am not a fan of aloe - especially on the feathers. Aloe is sticky and will do nothing other tan encourage your bird to preen more. Never use anything other than water on your bird's feathers.

Birds (and people) can eat aloe, but it does nothing for you and nothing against you and the bird.

@Snowghost Have you ever had the tests that I recommended (by your vet) performed on your CAG? Until you do rule out physical causes you are shooting in the dark.

@Clueless It appears yhat they are a marketing organization from this statement;

"Legal
Parrot Website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Parrot Website also participates in affiliate programs with other sites. Parrot Website is compensated for referring traffic and business to these companies."
That doesn’t change the fact that the information is accurate.

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.

"Legal
That site also...very correctly...tells you what NOT to feed a parrot.