• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plucking is still bad, what can I do?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That it is accurate, is not my opinion. I will say again that in my opinion (and my vet's opinion) aloe should not be used on feathers and does nothing for the insides. He's a smart guy and has saved my birds' lives numerous times.

I did not read the entire site, but it did indicate that feeding peanuts is fine, if they are human grade. One of the important reasons that I don't feed peanuts (besides having a bird die of Aspergillosis) is the fact that they are very high calories and there is enough saturated fats for nutritionist to recommend eating peanuts in moderation.

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
That it is accurate, is not my opinion. I will say again that in my opinion (and my vet's opinion) aloe should not be used on feathers and does nothing for the insides. He's a smart guy and has saved my birds' lives numerous times.

I did not read the entire site, but it did indicate that feeding peanuts is fine, if they are human grade. One of the important reasons that I don't feed peanuts (besides having a bird die of Aspergillosis) is the fact that they are very high calories and there is enough saturated fats for nutritionist to recommend eating peanuts in moderation.
Well, read the entire site.

If you think you’re right on every point and they’re wrong...

Well, that’s what you think.

And they clearly explain the dangers of peanuts.

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
I am not a fan of aloe - especially on the feathers. Aloe is sticky and will do nothing other tan encourage your bird to preen more. Never use anything other than water on your bird's feathers.

Birds (and people) can eat aloe, but it does nothing for you and nothing against you and the bird.

@Snowghost Have you ever had the tests that I recommended (by your vet) performed on your CAG? Until you do rule out physical causes you are shooting in the dark.

@Clueless It appears yhat they are a marketing organization from this statement;

"Legal
Parrot Website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Parrot Website also participates in affiliate programs with other sites. Parrot Website is compensated for referring traffic and business to these companies."
Aloe isn’t sticky in liquid form.

And that website, in no way, is giving false information for commercial purposes.

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.

No, it didn’t indicate feeding peanuts are totally fine.

Meerkat07

Strolling the yard
As long as they dry off well afterwards I let my birds come outside when its raining they love bathing naturally in the rain.

MsBasscat

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris Green
I have a plucker too, I have tried almost everything and she still plucks. I give her cbd oil, it helps calm her down.

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@MsBasscat Where do you get it at and how do you give it to her. I know he is stressed due to my flexible work schedule. If I could find a regular job M-F daylight hours it would help. But with the holidays and end of year it is hard to do right now. I'm trying to spend as much time with him as I can.

MsBasscat

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris Green
@MsBasscat Where do you get it at and how do you give it to her. I know he is stressed due to my flexible work schedule. If I could find a regular job M-F daylight hours it would help. But with the holidays and end of year it is hard to do right now. I'm trying to spend as much time with him as I can.
That's exactly what happened to us, I had to work longer hours for awhile and that's when the plucking began. I order it from California, I'll attach the info... The staff there is extremely helpful so ask questions...Good Luck...I'm still battling this problem with my 6yr old Congo

Attachments

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@MsBasscat So it does or doesn't help? You are still battling it? I can't give it to him by his beak. Do you put it on food?