• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plucking is still bad, what can I do?

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I left the crappy job but the one I have now isn't much better, at least I'm working in the evening. Paco is still plucking. He has now pulling out the feathers on his left wing that was molting months ago. He has a broken blood feather right now that has blood on it. The first one I almost had a heart attack. Why is he attacking the new feathers coming in? He refused a shower last weekend, I give him one every weekend. It was chilly. I know my changing work schedule is the problem but I have to work. How can I ease my buddies stress?

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
• Play him soothing music.
• Form as many predictable patterns as you possibly can.
• Give him an essential fatty acid oil supplement 1-2 times a day or as directed.
• Give him Avitech Chamomile Flower Herbal Parrot Supplement; chamomilla is calming.
• When he breaks a blood feather don't panic because this will only cause him more anxiety.
• Make sure he has plenty of toys and foraging projects to prevent boredom throughout the day.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
You might try and get a humidifier, if you don't already have one. Obviously it's not a cure all but it could potentially make him more comfortable and pluck less. Plucking is such a difficult behavior to solve, especially if there's no obvious medical condition :(

I'm gonna try using a humidifier for the winter months. There can be safety concerns such a the build up of mold. So you have to make sure you can it properly. Here a thread for more info on them Humidifier Safety/Recommendations

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
You might try and get a humidifier, if you don't already have one. Obviously it's not a cure all but it could potentially make him more comfortable and pluck less. Plucking is such a difficult behavior to solve, especially if there's no obvious medical condition :(

I'm gonna try using a humidifier for the winter months. There can be safety concerns such a the build up of mold. So you have to make sure you can it properly. Here a thread for more info on them Humidifier Safety/Recommendations

Oh I know. He had plucked really bad with his previous owner, she was working 70 hours a week. He is healthy, I improved his diet, more time out of his cage and he was doing so well. He even has his tail feathers back, so glad he isn't pulling them out. Its just that one wing and his chest. I know its the job. I will spend more time with him and hook up the humidifier. Thank you.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Sorry you're seeing the plucking escalate.
DO NOT SAY ANYTHING TO HIM ABOUT IT!
Whatever you do, ignore it. Don't ooh and awe about it.
Do not try and stop him physically.
Any attention he gets by doing it, will make it continue even more.
Does he like TV or music? One of mine loved a child's musical toy that worked by pushing buttons.
I'd strap it to the outside of the cage, he'd make it play by pushing buttons through the bars, and he played that darn box til it died.
Anything he can do while alone is a good idea.
Perhaps food strong on a skewer? Something he'd have to work at to get.
If you have the old fashioned answering machine that you can hear the caller leaving a message, you could talk to him a few times on it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Has Paco had all of the appropriate medical tests to rule out a physical reason.

Some common physical causes of plucking;
skin infections (bacterial or fungal)
Feather root infections (bacterial or fugal)
arthritis
Heart disease
Atherosclerosis
tumor
liver disease
lung issues (chronic infection or aspergillosis)
strained/damaged muscles, tendons and joints.

There are many purely physical reasons that a bird plucks as well as emotional reasons.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I have tried to distract him when he plucks so from now on I will ignore it. Hankmacaw, no I haven't had him to vet yet. He was doing so well until I started getting up at 4:30 am for work and then come home and take a nap. I was working evenings and he really enjoyed our mornings together. So thankfully I am back to working in the evening. I spent all day with him today, and I have been telling him its my day off. He has learned to understand what I tell him. He knows when its time to go bye bye and when I am leaving to go to the store and he has learned when "goodie time". I am really pleased with our communication is going so well. We also have a bed time routine. I truly believe the job hours it what confused him and then on the weekends I would get up with the sun. Poor guy I would get up in the middle of the night and he think I was getting ready for work. The job wasn't for me and I'm glad I got out of it.

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
No I wish we did. Its the best I can do for now.
I don’t understand:

I’m implying that sleeping in the same room IS good. That’s much more calming than being separated.

My young YNA...

My wife works overnights, I’m retired, and I sleep on the couch near him. I’m totally comfortable there.

I’m convinced that him seeing me 24/7, more or less, is turning this guy into a very mellow fellow. No separation anxiety at all.

I’m also not raising him by any super strict sleeping or feeding schedule.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I don’t understand:

I’m implying that sleeping in the same room IS good. That’s much more calming than being separated.

My young YNA...

My wife works overnights, I’m retired, and I sleep on the couch near him. I’m totally comfortable there.

I’m convinced that him seeing me 24/7, more or less, is turning this guy into a very mellow fellow. No separation anxiety at all.

I’m also not raising him by any super strict sleeping or feeding schedule.
Sorry, I meant yes we do... I type faster then my brain sometimes. I have noticed today he is feeling more like himself. I had a wild caught Amazon for 25 years before Paco. She was the type of bird that was like bring it on, nothing bothered her, if it did she would just bite it. She screamed, loved me and rock and roll.

Paco is in tune with his environment, and I take very good care of him. I have oodles of post with my many questions and set backs with him. We have made such progress and it pains me to see that change in my work schedule has really effected him. Today was a great day, he is his old self right now, hooting like an owl and he even ate cauliflower!

I have been emotionally upset and drained these last few weeks. I occurred to me that with the schedule change and my emotions, he is picking up on this?

I'm so happy right now that he is whistling on top of his cage and looks much better, he did let me give him a short shower.

I appreciate everyone's support and suggestions here.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Have you been able to get him outside for some natural sunshine? It can often do wonders for stress in humans and birds?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
He will definitely pick on your stress!
Once your emotions calm down, he'll sense that and also become more settled.

Glad things are looking better, and you've a job with better hours.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
He will definitely pick on your stress!
Once your emotions calm down, he'll sense that and also become more settled.

Glad things are looking better, and you've a job with better hours.
I can see a difference in just a week, he is chatting more, seems happier, lots of out of cage time and he is with mom in the morning til 12 noon. I was worried that the paper chewing would get worse with me coming home after 10pm but that has slowed down too. So glad he is adjusting faster then I expected.

BirdLady13

I can see a difference in just a week, he is chatting more, seems happier, lots of out of cage time and he is with mom in the morning til 12 noon. I was worried that the paper chewing would get worse with me coming home after 10pm but that has slowed down too. So glad he is adjusting faster then I expected.
Good to hear!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Oh I am so relieved, tonight was the first night I came home after midnight and he only chewed his paper a little, he got out of his cage and is whistling and hooting like an owl again. Greys certainly are funny creatures.

MsBasscat

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris Green
I left the crappy job but the one I have now isn't much better, at least I'm working in the evening. Paco is still plucking. He has now pulling out the feathers on his left wing that was molting months ago. He has a broken blood feather right now that has blood on it. The first one I almost had a heart attack. Why is he attacking the new feathers coming in? He refused a shower last weekend, I give him one every weekend. It was chilly. I know my changing work schedule is the problem but I have to work. How can I ease my buddies stress?

MsBasscat

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris Green
Try cbd oil to calm him and put a collar on him to help stop him from plucking